Here I give the list of best 4 person cabin tents that are currently on the market, all very popular models that will be the main camping tools in 2018 as well. Although very similar in the design, the tents are with very different prices that are in the range $75 – 500.
Why cabin tents
♦ Cabin tents are tall, with straightened walls, typically at least two of them are very steep and sometimes completely vertical. In addition, such tents are usually with many large windows, and you will realize this from the examples below. Clearly, those are very livable constructions, usually suitable for very moderate summer campings (but there are exceptions, of course, you will see some below). You can read more about this type of tents in general in this text.
♦ As you can imagine, such large windows do not go well with rain flies, so most of the cabin tents are with a minimal fly which covers only the ceiling. In fact, some of them are the single-layer type, without a fly, or better to say with an integrated fly, and you will see examples of that type below. Such a single layer usually implies an easy setup.
♦ Some of the cabin tents are also instant tents, and this implies that the frame and the tent are permanently pre-attached to each other. See more about such tents here.
♦ These are camping tents, so they are relatively heavy and you need a car for transportation. But in some cases the packed size is great and you can transport them even on a motorbike and in a kayak.
My list of best 4 person cabin tents for 2018
Here is my list, with the tents ordered by the floor area:
The list includes one canvas tent (the first tent in the list below), one instant tent (the last tent in the list), and others are the standard cabin tents. Some are for the summer use only, but one is a 4-season tent. Some tents are single layer type, and some have a minimal fly which mainly covers the roof.
1. Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow 4 Person Canvas Tent, Deluxe
This Kodiak 4 person tent is exceptional in many ways and it should be the number one for several reasons. This is the only canvas tent here, so yes you are reading correctly, this is a cotton tent.
At the same time, this is the only 4-season tent in the list, so you can use it all the year round regardless of weather conditions.
The frame is steel, so you have:
- 1-inch galvanized steel tubing for the main vertical poles.
- Flex-bow rods, 3/8-inch, solid, spring steel.
The cotton fabric itself is heavy and sturdy so it is no surprise that the weight of this tent is 54.5 lb (24.7 kg). This all is built to last for many years.
The ceiling material is 10 oz Hydra-shield canvas and walls are 8.5 oz Hydra-Shield canvas. On the floor, you have 13.5 oz vinyl reinforced with polyester, and with welded seams. If you are not familiar, these seams are the best possible type of sealing and it is possible only on such plastic materials which you have here on the floor, see more in my text here.
This tent has been on the market for a number of years already, you realize this from this 2010 video:
- The current price (at the moment of writing the text) is $470. So this is an expensive tool, but with all good reasons. Please check the links for updates.
- Hydra-Shield 100% cotton duck canvas. Durable, watertight and breathable.
- Flex-Bow frame is exceptionally sturdy. Keeps tent taut. Quick and easy, one-person, setup.
- 2 large D-shaped doors.
- 4 large windows with no-see-um mesh.
- Front awning (70 x 57 in) provides covered entry and shade, see the picture above.
- Two funnel-flow vents.
- Note that the tent is not freestanding, it must be staked to the ground.
- Weight: 54.5 lb (24.7 kg).
- Floor dimensions: 9 x 8 ft (274 x 244 cm).
- Floor area: 72 ft² (6.69 m²). So this is the larges tent here.
- 6’1″ (185 cm) ceiling.
- Total packed size: 35.5 x 12.5 x 11.5 in (90 x 32 x 29 cm). The tent packs in (L x D) 24 x 13 in (61 x 33 cm). The poles pack (L x D) is 35 x 5.5 in (89 x 14 cm).
- Warranty: lifetime limited.
- Go to the top
2. NEMO Wagontop 4P 3 Season Camping Tent
This is again a very specific tent, very tall and with two vertical walls. You will notice that this is the only tent here with a true vestibule, you have extra 27 ft² (2.5 m²) of the covered space, so this makes it a rather exceptional model. Its packed size 28 x 10 inches (71 x 25 cm) is such that you can transport it even on a motorbike.
This is a single-wall and freestanding design, and these features are typical for most of the cabin-type tents on the market. This is one of the tents that is really a 3-season type, and this makes it superior to many other tents in the list which are mainly for summer camping. But see its profile and you will realize that it is best not to pitch it in a very windy place.
The fly is 75D PU polyester ripstop with 1500 mm waterproofness rating, and the floor is very durable 150D PU polyester ripstop with the same 1500 mm rating. Two hubbed aluminum poles are with a Y-shaped design and they provide an excellent and flexible structural stability which helps in the case of winds.
The vestibule can be removed or you can roll it up. Behind it you have a large door with a dual-entry design, and inside you have panels for versatility and privacy. As typical for cabin tents, you have large screen windows on all sides of the tent. They are equipped with panels for privacy and for protection against the rain.
Note that this series includes also a bigger brother for 6 people with very similar features, see more about it here.
Please see more in this short video nu NEMO:
- The price is around $500, please check the link for the update.
- Single-layer type.
- Unique pole structure, so you have lots of volume here.
- Easy setup; all is color-coded.
- Large screen windows and great ventilation.
- Removable vestibule.
- Very tall tent, no need to crouch or duck when entering.
- Weight: 19 lb 9 oz (8.87 kg).
- Total dimensions: 10 x 10 ft (305 x 305 cm).
- Floor area: 69 ft² (6.41 m²).
- Vestibule area: 27 ft² (2.5 m²).
- Peak height: 78 in (198 cm).
- Packed size (L x D): 28 x 10 in (71 x 25 cm).
- Warranty: limited lifetime.
- Go to the top
3. Eureka Copper Canyon 4 Tent
This is a very typical summer camping tent, a simple square and stable structure with huge windows and a large door. These windows make it very pleasant and livable, but its incredible height of 84 in (213 cm) also adds to a great feeling you have in this tent.
The tent is freestanding and you can literally pitch it on concrete, grass, sand, rock, anywhere. But this structure is not aerodynamic and you should not miss staking it out if you can.
The four vertical poles are steel, and they are 19.5 mm thick, while roof poles are 12.7 mm fiberglass. The fly is minimal, designed to cover only the ceiling and to let you have unobstructed views through all those great windows.
- Very good price, around $200 as of the moment of writing the text.
- Tall and very livable tent.
- Freestanding, so you can indeed pitch it on any terrain.
- Huge windows.
- Impressive packed size, so you can transport it even on a motorbike.
- Electricity port available.
- Gear loft included.
- No vestibule.
- Packed weight: 19 lb 4 oz (19.25 lb, 8.73 kg).
- Floor size: 8 x 8 ft (96 x 96 in; 244 x 244 cm).
- Floor area: 64 sq ft (5.95 m²)
- Interior peak height: 7 ft (84 in, 213 cm).
- Packed size: 26 x 7 in (66 x 18 cm).
- Doors: 1.
- Go to the top
4. Eureka Jade Canyon 4 Tent
This tent is rather similar to the Copper Canyon model above. So again you have a square 8’ x 8’ floor area and lots of headspace in this tall and pleasant tent.
The poles are steel and aluminum combination, with 19 mm and 16 mm diameter, so this is a very strong freestanding structure which you can set anywhere. But stakes and guylines are included to anchor the tent to the ground when possible.
You have internal storage pockets and dual gear lofts. Note that you have a Media Center pocket where you can keep a notepad and other devices and watch while sitting in the tent. In addition, you have an integrated port to run an electrical cord through the wall.
An interesting feature is reflective panels on the ceiling, they maximize the glow of your lantern when you hung it there.
The tent is with 4 mesh windows, and the mesh is also in the canopy which is protected by a 75D StormShield polyester rainfly. The walls are also 75D polyester, and you have 1800 mm waterproofness rating here. The floor is bathtub-style 75D polyester with 2000 mm rating, designed to keep the interior dry.
A bit more you can see in this video:
- The price at the moment of writing the text is $300, please follow the links for updates.
- Shock-corded steel main poles, and aluminum roof poles, so this is an important difference as compared to the Copper Canyon tent above.
- Matching color-coded webbing on tent and fly make set up fast and easy.
- Zippered E! Power Port.
- Reflective panels increase the brightness.
- Media Center hanging sleeve.
- Great packed size.
- Weight: 18 lb 1 oz. Note these are official numbers from the Eureka site, and they are different from some other soures you can see on the Internet.
- Floor size: 8 x 8 ft (244 x 244 cm).
- Floor area: 64 ft² (5.95 m²).
- Peak height: 7 ft (213 cm).
- Packed size (L x D): 26 x 8 in (66 x 20 cm).
- Doors: 1.
- Warranty: lifetime.
- Go to the top
5. ALPS Mountaineering Camp Creek 4 Person Tent
Here again, you have a very typical cabin tent, very tall, with minimal fly and very large windows. The walls are almost vertical so you can use bunk cots and make it even more livable and save lots of the floor area. The tent has received very good reviews by users, on Amazon its average rating is 4.4/5.
You have small awnings over the front door and back window, which means that you can keep them at least partly open even when it is raining, so you can always have a good ventilation here. The tent is a part of a series which includes also a 6 person tent, just to know if you need a bigger tool.
The materials are very robust here. So you have a 75D 185T polyester fly with 1500 mm coating designed to resist UV damage. The floor is 150D polyester oxford floor with 1500 mm coating. All seams are factory-sealed. The vertical 4 poles are 19 mm steel, and the roof poles are fiberglass.
- Amazon price at the moment of writing the text $200. Please check the links for updates.
- Freestanding design.
- Very tall tent.
- Durable fabric.
- 4 windows.
- 1 door.
- Very good packed size.
- Weight: 20 lb (9.07 kg).
- Dimensions: 102 x 90 in (259 x 229 cm).
- Floor area: 63.8 ft² (5.93 m²).
- Peak height: 84 in (213 cm).
- Packed size: 28 x 7 in (71 x 18 cm).
- Go to the top
6. Agnes Big House 4 Deluxe 3 Season Camping Tent
Here you have a superior quality tent from a renown brand. Perhaps some might argue that it does not belong to the group of cabin tents, and indeed it is a bit lower than other tents, so you have the interior height of “only” 68 inches (172 cm). But this is again a structure with almost straightened tall walls and with the floor area of 5.57 square meters (60 sq ft).
This is a 3-season camping tent in the true sense and you can certainly rely on it regardless of weather conditions. The rain fly is awning-style, so it does not cover the whole tent but it goes almost to the ground on the sides. So you do not have a true vestibule here and all stuff will be kept inside the tent.
But you should know that they sell the vestibule separately, and you can see it here. In such a combination this transforms into a very luxurious camping tent. Such an addition adds extra 40 square feet (3.72 m²) of protected external storage space.
Note also that this series includes a bigger tent as well for 6 people, and it is important to stress that this is a freestanding type. But very sturdy aluminum stakes are included so you can always secure the tent.
This is a very livable tent with 10 internal mesh pockets which provide places to stash clothes and gear. You also have gear loft loops where you can attach the gear loft from the same brand, which they sell separately.
On the ceiling you have a mesh, and the mesh is also on the sides so you will always have lots of cross ventilation and air circulation to fight condensation build-up.
Note that you have 2 large doors here, which also adds to the livability. They are protected by integrated panels which you can raise behind the door when it is raining or just for privacy.
Both the fly and the floor are coated with 1500 mm waterproof polyurethane, and all seams are seal-taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (no PVC or VOCs). The whole structure is supported by 2 aluminum poles only, which create an X-shaped dome structure.
They have a footprint for extra protection, which is sold separately.
The setup is easy with only 2 poles with press-fit connectors and with color-coding which is applied here. The carry bag is a briefcase style with nice interior storage pockets and easy-carry shoulder straps. See a bit more in this short video:
- Current price around $350 (please check the links for updates).
- Two doors. They feature windows with two closure options; so you have mesh for ventilation and panels for protection.
- Quick stash on the front door for a quick and easy stowing of the unzipped door.
- Two fly vents.
- Welcome mat included.
- 10 pockets.
- Stowable bin pockets that act as bedside tables.
- Color-coded webbing and buckles for an easy setup.
- Very lightweight tent.
- Weight: 11 lb 4 oz (5.1 kg).
- Floor dimensions: 96 x 90 in (244 x 229 cm).
- Floor area: 60 ft² (5.57 m²).
- Peak height: 68 in (172 cm).
- Packed size: 27 x 15 x 6 in (69 x 38 x 15 cm).
- Warranty: limited lifetime.
- Go to the top
7. Coleman Instant 4 Person Camping Tent
This is the only instant cabin tent here. So if you think that the setup of other tents is easy and straightforward, you should see this Coleman tent in action. The frame is preassembled and attached to the tent in the factory, so you just spread the tent and expand its telescopic poles.
This is also a single-layer tent, in this respect similar to the NEMO model above. They call this the integrated fly design.
- The only instant tent here, so the easiest setup that you can imagine.
- Great price. The current price is around 75 and up, no other tent here is a close match to this tent.
- The lightest tent in the list.
- Huge windows.
- It is not very tall, the lowest tent here.
- Weight: 9.8 lb (4.45 kg).
- Dimensions: 8 x 7 ft (2.44 x 2.13 m).
- Floor area: 56 sq ft (5.2 m²).
- Peak height: 4 ft. 11 in (59 in, 1.5 m).
- Packed size: 38 x 18 x 9.5 in (97 x 46 x 24 cm).
- Go to the top
So this was my list of best 4 person cabin tents that are on the market in 2017 and that will be the top tools for 2018 as well. As you realize, the differences in prices are really drastic. So you have the tents in the range $75 – 500, therefore plenty of reasons to choose carefully.
Now, how to choose?
- If this is about the setup, no other tent here is a match to the Coleman Instant tent, the number 7. So if you are going to change the camping place frequently, this is the tool to bear in mind.
- Is the price very important? Then again, the number 7 is the champion here.
- If you need a very luxurious option with a vestibule, then the NEMO tent is the tool. This is the only tent with a vestibule. But note that some other models have the vestibule as an accessory, like the Big Agnes tent, while the Kodiak tent offers a great awning.
- But if you need a tent for all seasons, something that will last for many years, then the Kodiak tent is without a match on the market. You will not find anything comparable to it.
Thank you for reading. Please use the comment box below if you have any question or comment. I wish you a nice day.