If you missed the news, there are new Gregory Baltoro and Deva Series launched recently, with some improvement and a few big changes, and with yet another Gold Award.
As usual, with the beginning of the year, there are many completely new outdoor equipment items on the market, and modified existing series. Gregory has several new series, but they have also modified their famous flagship pack series Baltoro and Deva.
Gold Outdoor Award Again
At the OutDoor Trade Show in Friedrichshafen, Germany, on June 18, 2017, the Gregory Baltoro 65 pack has received the Gold Award for products that set new standards for innovation and design in the outdoor industry.
This is the Jury statement:
“The best backpacks are so well designed that you hardly notice that you are carrying them after a while. This certainly applies to the Baltoro 65. The carry system with its independent and adjustable shoulder straps, load panels and the hip belt is very comfortable and offers great load management.”
Please see the new Baltoro series in this video by Gregory:
A bit more about new packs
Each of the two series, the Baltoro for men, and Deva for women is still with three packs with different sizes. So you have Baltoro 65, 75 and 85, and the corresponding Deva 60, 70, and 80.
Within each of the three sizes, you have three sub-sizes, and this is the same as it was in the past. So what is new?
Here are a few most important changes:
- There are small differences in weight in each of the sub-sizes for every pack. But the differences are not drastic, this is about 7 – 10 grams dependent on the size and sub-size of the pack. In general, the new models are slightly lighter.
- Small differences are also in the dimensions, but they are not substantial
- The big difference is in the back panel design. You have what they call the Matrix Ventilated Backpanel, see the picture below. So this is a ventilated structural foam wrapped in a very breathable mesh. This design is introduced to enhance moisture management through a much better airflow while keeping the pack very close to your back. This is essential for very heavy loads which these packs are designed for. This is similar to what you can see in their Paragon and Maven packs.
- Do you remember how many pockets is on the previous 2017 Baltoro 65 pack? It was 8; now you have 10.
- But the previous 2017 Baltoro 85 pack was with two side zippered pockets. They are missing in the new 2018 Baltoro 85.
- The big change is also on the front of the pack, see the pictures above. In the 2017 Gregory Baltoro 65 you can see the centrally positioned front zipper which was the entrance to the front pocket. Now you have a stretch mesh pocket on the front. But there is more here – there are two new zippered pockets with vertical zippers from the two sides. These two make the number of 10 pockets mentioned above.
- The previous rain cover pocket is not in its old place (within the front pocket). The rain cover now comes in the lid pocket.
- There is QuickStow feature on the left shoulder harness for sunglasses, see the picture. They have added this also in their brand new Gregory Optic 58 pack.
- Crossover design with compression straps. Now you can route them from one side across the front and attach to the straps from the other side.
- Colors are different.
Currently, the packs are sold on Amazon together with the previous versions, so this is a bit of a mess, you do not know which reviews address the previous and which the new packs.
Below are links to several packs from this new series. Thank you for reading. Let me know, what you think about this new design of these iconic packs. There is a comment box below.