Deuter Aircontact PRO 70 15 pack is a heavy duty tool for carrying up to 25 kilograms of load. It is a part of Deuter Aircontact PRO series which contains several different sizes of the Deuter backpacks. These include the following:
- 60+15 L, 70 + 15 L for men
- 55+15 L, 65+ 15 L for women (SL version).
- Amazon price: $349 (check the links for updates).
- My rate: 8.7/10
- Place to buy: Amazon.
Deuter Aircontact PRO 70+15 Pack
This is a load-hauling pack, for 65 pounds or more. VariFlex suspension system allows you to adjust the pack from 14 to 22 inches torso. You can see how easily this is done in the video below, at 1:15.
When you open the lower compartment you will see the usual divider which allows you to get into the upper main compartment from below.
The main access to the upper compartment is from the top and through a U-shaped zipper on the front. When you need to use the extra 15 L lid on the upper part of the main compartment, the top compartment will adjust to accommodate this.
The top compartment can be completely removed, and it can be used separately as a day pack, or ‘summit pack’. You can see it in the video below at 5:40. But I must say, it does not look so attractive to me when used that way. I have seen some other less expensive brands with a detachable day pack which really look like a pack.
The pack comes with integrated rain cover. It features a daisy chain on the front of the pack. It has two huge zippered pockets on both sides, and two open pockets for water bottles on each side, with compression straps over them.
Technical specifications, from Deuter page
- Weight: 7 lbs 1 oz (3200 g).
- Volume: 4270 + 920 (+730 sp) cubic inches; 70 + 15 (+12 sp) litre.
- Size: 36 / 15 / 14 (H x W x D) Inch; 92 / 38 / 36 (H x W x D) cm.
- Material: Deuter-Duratex, 330D Micro Rip Pro 6.6.
Summary of features:
- Super durable material.
- The pack features a pull-forward hip belt construction; easy adjustment even when laden.
- Access to the main compartment in 3 ways: from the top, from the lower compartment, and through a huge U-shaped front opening.
- Detachable lid compartment with zipped pocket and two valuables pockets. Can be used separately as a day pack. Height adjustable.
- Internal compression strap.
- Zipped hip belt pocket.
- Bottom compartment.
- Detachable rain cover.
- Wet laundry compartment.
- Outer tent-pole pockets.
- Three side compression straps.
- Daisy chains and a huge zipped pocket on the front.
- Side bellows pockets for excess baggage or for a Streamer hydration bladder.
- Breathable cushions with ventilating Aircontact technology and durable 3D AirMesh lining wicks away warmth and moisture.
- Vari Fit system – for adjusting the backpack to the individual’s back.
- Vari Flex system – pivoting hip fins follow complex body movements. The load evenly distributed to the hips; freedom of movement; reduced fatigue. Two GRP-rods and load adjustment straps on the hip fins for precision load control. The Vari Flex system + aluminum stays form the core of the carrying system. The result: stability, efficient load transfer, perfect load control, flexibility.
- Two ergonomically formed V-shape multi-chamber aluminum stays direct a part of the load from the back to the hips.
- Hip fins taper upwards in a conical form, concave, ultra-padded, anatomical. The multi-layered, PE-stiffened foam spreads the load evenly.
- Height adjustable load transfer straps on the shoulder straps.
- Contoured shoulder straps with 3D AirMesh lining.
About Deuter Aircontact PRO series
As people from Deuter claim, Deuter Aircontact PRO is a true heavy duty transporter for trekking and traveling. These backpacks can be used for carrying the load up to 25 kilograms quite easily, and this is all mainly due to an advanced back suspension system. It includes Deuter VaryFlex features and anatomically shaped hip belts. Breathable foam is used in belts and this provides an excellent ventilation.
Please see this nice promotional video by Deuter, it is only about 3 minutes long:
Fitting the pack
It is essential that the pack fits the user, and this holds in particular with such heavy-duty packs discussed here. For this please follow these essential steps:
- Loosen all straps and put the pack on the back.
- Fasten the hip belt and tighten it. Make sure that the padded part is on the hip bone.
- Tighten up the shoulder straps, so that the padded part comes all the way till under the arm pit.
- Fasten the chest strap. This prevents the should belt from slipping.
- Pull shoulder straps to a proper position to stabilize the load.
- Tighten compression straps behind the hip, this additionally stabilizes the load.
• Deuter is one of the oldest manufacturers of backpacks in the world and it has been around for more than a century, more precisely for 117 years. Founded by Hans Deuter in Augsburg-Oberhausen. He started as a supplier for the Bavarian Royal Mail with mailbags and post sacks.
• Top quality materials are used.
• Used by mountaineers, hikers, bikers etc., and distributed in 45 countries (North and South Americas, Asia, Africa, Europe and Australia).
• Deuter is a member of Bluesign – an organization which establishes standards for sustainability, health, and safety in the textile industry. Deuter meets Bluesign standards, and develops an environmentally friendly production.
Thank you for reading the text. I hope it was useful. I have been using a Deuter backpack for 12 years now, and clearly, it will last for many more years. Just to know, it is a quality product.
Please leave some comment in the box below. I shall be happy to read it.