Deuter ACT Lite Backpacks come in several different sizes. You may find it as 35+10L, 35+10 (SL) L, 40+10 L, 45+10 (SL) L, 50+10 L, 60+10 (SL) L, 65+10 L, 70+ 10 (SL) L, 75+10 L. Here SL denotes slim-line models for women.
The number +10 implies that the top part of the main compartment can be extended, adding extra 10 L of volume. ACT stands for air-contact.
In this text, I shall give some details about smaller versions for day trips or weekend trips.
Choosing a proper backpack size
Roughly speaking backpacks can be divided into the following categories:
- Day packs, up to 35 L.
- Weekend and multi-day packs 35-50 L
- Extended tours packs 50-70 L
- Expedition packs for very long and/or cold weather trips 70+ L.
My standard backpack is Deuter 38 L, already 12 years old, reliable and still in perfect condition. This is a relatively small pack but it is good enough for both day trips and weekend tours, this is due to numerous attachment points from the outside. It has been tested that way many times in the past 12 years.
Deuter ACT Lite 35+10 SL Hiking Backpack
This is a great pack designed for the female anatomy, a perfect choice for day hikes, trekking, mountaineering, traveling, and even for school. It is very light and ergonomic. Due to its size, it requires some discipline in packing.
Like many of new Deuter models, this one also comes with an internal frame.
Designed for women, the SL system is slightly shorter than standard Deuter backpacks. It can be a great choice for shorter males as well. The SL shoulder straps are both narrower and shorter in length. Also, in view of the fact that female waist and hip are shaped differently, the waist belt is designed in a specific conical shape.
Hip fins are anatomically shaped and multiple layered. The inner is a soft foam with 3D AirMesh lining for heightened comfort. The outside layer is a firm foam, anatomically molded in such a way to transfer the load to the hips. The role of the side compression straps on the fins is to regulate the load and increase stability.
Here are some basic details:
- Weight: 1580 g
- Volume: 35+ 10 L
- Size: 70 / 27 / 22 (H x W x D) cm
- Material: Macro Lite 210 nylon material in hard wearing 420 denier and 210 denier density. High abrasion resistance. Deuter-Ripstop 210 ultra-tight weave, hard wearing 210 Denier Nylon. Deuter-Super-Polytex from 600 den Polyester thread and with a thick PU coating, very suitable for backpacks, used to keep the minimum weight.
- My rate: 9.0/10
- Amazon price: $179-220
- Best place to buy: Amazon.
Summary of features
- Similar to other larger versions, this pack has a stretch front pocket.
- Pull-Forward function in the hip belt, which makes it easy to fasten.
- It has a zipped pocket on the hip belt.
- Ice axe and hiking pole loops.
- Stretch side pockets.
- Vari-Quick back length adjustment with two-layer foam construction.
- Anatomic shoulder straps.
- Gear attachment loops on the lid.
- Aluminium X-frame.
- Lid pocket.
- Loops for helmet holder.
- Bottom compartment for sleeping bag.
- Compression and load adjustment straps.
- Height adjustable lid.
- Internal pocket for valuables.
- Hydration system.
A bit about Deuter Aircontact System
- The model includes breathable padding with ventilating hollow chamber foam. Due to movement, there is a sort of pump effect that forces the air through the breathable Aircontact cushions.
- Very effective air channel ventilation between the back cushions.
Please see this great YouTube video about Deuter ACT Lite 35+10 SL Hiking Backpack, it provided many essential details you will need to know:
Deuter ACT Lite 45+10 SL Hiking Backpack
This is yet another in the weekend-type packs, with features very similar to the 35+10 SL model. It has received great customer reviews.
My rate: 8.8/10.
This is slightly lower compared with 35+10 only because of the size. I find it a bit too big for day trips. My own ideal size is 38 (yes, I might be biased a bit, I have the one of that size).
- Amazon price: $189
- Place to buy: Amazon.
- As for other SL (female) models, the torso length can be adjusted, the straps are narrower.
- Breathable foam on shoulder straps, back panel, and hip pads.
- Height adjustable top lid.
- Internal dry/wet storage area.
- Big bottom compartment.
- Anatomically profiled x-frame. Top load axes.
- 45lb load range.
- Hydration system.
- Weight: 3 lb 13 oz (1.73 kg).
- Pockets: 2 side stretch mesh, 1 for internal valuables, 1 zippered hip-belt, 1 zippered lid, 1 stretch mesh, 1 wet/dry compartment.
- Material: Deuter Super Polytex, 210D nylon ripstop, 420D nylon.
- Volume: 2746 cu in.
Weight Capacity: 45 lbs (20 kg).
Here is yet another great YouTube presentation of the Deuter ACT Lite 45+10 SL Hiking Backpack, enjoy it:
Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 Hiking Backpack
Here are basic features of this model, from the Deuter site itself:
- Weight: 5 lbs 12 oz (2600 g).
- Volume: 3360 + 610 cubic inches; 55 + 10 litre
- Size: 32 / 14 / 11 (H x W x D) Inch; 82 / 36 / 28 (H x W x D) cm
- Material: Deuter-Duratex; 330D Micro Rip Pro 6.6.
My rate: 9.0/10 (if used as a weekend pack; too big for day tours).
Best place to buy: Amazon.
The model has the following features:
- Vari Quick system which allows for adjustment to any back length.
- Three side compression straps.
- Inner compression strap.
- Pull-forward hip belt adjustment.
- Lid and head molding compression straps.
- Valuables pocket on the hip belt.
- Outer tent-pole pockets.
- Daisy Chains.
- Anatomic X-frame gives a balance of torsional rigidity; flexibility to follow body movements.
- Breathable padding; pump effect circulates air through the breathable Aircontact cushions. Extra air channel ventilation between the back cushions.
See this nice YouTube video of Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 Hiking Backpack:
Cons with respect to the models
- No integrated rain cover.
If you need a bigger model, I warmly suggest you see this post about 65+10 models from the same brand.
Thank you for reading, I hope it was useful for you. Please leave some comment in the box below, I shall be happy to read it.