Deuter Futura PRO 44 EL Pack is a top quality hiking and mountaineering backpack with great ventilation, numerous pockets, bottom compartment, and a rain cover included.
- For hikers with 20 – 24 inches torso length.
- Spring steel perimeter frame.
- Tensioned trampoline style mesh back panel.
- Active Fit pivoting shoulder harness.
- Bottom compartment.
- Rain cover.
- Zippered side bellow pockets.
Where to buy
This pack is available on Amazon and you will find it on several of their stores across the globe. This will help to save on shipping.
What is in the name
The letters EL mean ‘extra long’ so this pack is built for people in the height range 185 – 200 cm.
The word PRO indicates that this is a version with a bit fewer features than standard Futura packs. I have summarized the differences between the Futura and Futura Pro series in my separate text.
This is a top loading pack with the lid and collar and it also has a separate bottom compartment. You have a real divider with a zipper so that nothing can pass from the main compartment. But you can open it if you want to use it as a single space. It comes with a bonus rain cover stored in a dedicated zippered pocket on the bottom.
The pack is hydration compatible, you have a lined internal pocket and a built-in tube exit point.
What is new in the new version
What you have here is the new 2018/2019 version of this pack and it has some important differences as compared to the previous 2016 version.
- The big difference is in the attachment of the shoulder harness to the back panel, this is completely different now. Previously, it was attached to the mesh panel itself. Now it goes behind the mesh and offers some pivoting.
- There are strips of foam padding along the edges of the tensioned back mesh.
- The hip belt attachment to the pack is completely modified. Previously, it was going behind the lumbar padding. Now, it makes a single continuous construction with the side lumbar padding. So the lumbar zone is also very different now, see the picture below.
- There is a front stretch mesh pocket in the new version, it is shown in the picture above.
- Yet another difference is the color.
So the pack is definitely improved.
Overview of features
The suspension system
The suspension is always the most important part so to start with it. This is the same what you have in all smaller Futura packs and this is what they call the Aircomfort Sensic Pro suspension system. It includes a lightweight and flexible spring steel perimeter frame which transfers the load to the hip belt and gives tension to the trampoline style mesh. The mesh keeps the pack completely separated from the back so you have air flow in all directions. This is the best possible ventilation you can have in a pack. See how it looks:
Note that there is no torso length adjustment here, this feature is only in the bigger Futura packs, the Futura Vario 50+10 and Futura Vario 45+10 SL for women. But you have the usual shoulder straps adjustment which allows for some fine tuning. The harness is for users with 20 – 24 inches (51 – 61 cm) torso length.
The anatomical shoulder straps are with what they call the ActiveFit pivoting system, it allows for some minor self-adjustment to the shape of the shoulders of a user.
The hip belt is also a great feature here with its massive dual foam padding, designed to support the load which you will carry comfortably. The articulated hip fins are with what they at Deuter call the Comfort Lock design, which means a perfect hugging of the hip bones, and they have some pivot and flexibility to adjust to the wearer’s movements. On the front you have a pull-forward construction to fasten the hip belt easily.
The pack comes with plenty of pockets, 10 in total, all possible types, see the list:
- Two zippered pockets are on the hip belt.
- Two side stretch mesh pockets for water bottle or anything similar.
- Two upper zippered side bellows pockets. Note that they are designed so that when full they do not take much volume from the main compartment. Instead, they expand outwards.
- One large mesh pocket on the front.
- Two lid pockets, one external zippered and one underneath the lid zippered pocket.
- One extra pocket on the bottom for the rain cover.
Attachment elements and straps
You have dual compression straps on the sides. On the front the pack has ice axe/trekking pole loops paired with bungee tie-offs higher on the pack. There are four attachment loops on the lid.
- Easy finger pull loops on zippers.
- The fabric is 210D nylon and 600D polyester with PU coating.
- SOS label standard for all Deuter packs.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
Here is a promotion video by Deuter. As I realize, they have filmed it on some hiking routes on Tenerife island which I passed myself numerous times, have a look:
Good and less good features
Here is my short summary:
- Top level craftsmanship.
- Strong materials.
- Rain cover.
- Great ventilation.
- Great organization.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- No bottom straps.
- No torso adjustment.
The price & rating
The Amazon price is currently $190. So this is a bit expensive item but it is worth the investment, you will use it for decades. This includes the rain cover as well. See how I rate it against the same criteria used for all other packs here in the site, so you can easily compare:
My rating of the Deuter Futura PRO 44 EL Pack:
- Weight: 3.75 lb (1700 g).
- Volume: 2685 in³ (44 liters).
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 29.1 x 12.6 x 9.4 lb (74 x 32 x 24 cm).
- Torso fit: 20 – 24 in (51 – 61 cm).
Deuter Futura PRO 44 EL Backpack vs Competitors
I wanted to show you this Futura Pro pack side by side with two other packs that are in the same size range and built for a similar purpose. As you realize, they are in the same weight group but the Futura Pro 44 EL has more features, and its ventilation system is beyond comparison. Please follow the links for more, they are described in separate texts.
COMPARE PACKAGE FEATURES
Weight, lb (kg)
Hip belt pockets
Side zippered pockets
Pro 44 EL
Payable Every Month
Payable Every Year
Payable Every Year
This Deuter Futura Pro 44 EL pack is built in the best tradition of Deuter, with a great load-carrying comfort and the best ventilation with its tensioned back panel which is the invention of Deuter. Observe the letters EL which mean that this is a pack for tall users. If you are not in this category, no worry, visit my page with Packs in 35 – 55 volume range and you will find many other packs for you.
Note that this is not a sponsored text and I am not paid by the brand. I am just a user of their packs and know well how great they are. Thank you for reading, please use the comment box below in the case of questions or comments.