Oboz Bridger 8 Insulated BDry hiking boots for men are a new heavy-duty product launched in Fall 2016, but partly based on very popular existing Bridger boots. They are designed to give support, insulation, and comfort. These boots are suitable for any winter outdoor activity, and for around town winter use.
- Brand: Oboz.
- Products: Oboz Bridger 8″ Insulated BDry Hiking Boot – Men’s.
- Waterproof & breathable tool.
- Winter specific and insulated.
- Durable all-leather construction.
Best place to buy
- The best place regarding the price and shipping conditions is usually Amazon.com.
Oboz Bridger 8 Insulated boots are a winter-specific tool. A few words about the name:
- The number 8 which you see here gives the collar height in inches (20.3 cm).
- BDry describes the Oboz’s waterproof and breathable membrane.
- Insulated implies that you have 200 gram 3M Thinsulate insulation layer.
The upper is Nubuck full-leather lightweight but durable construction combined with an extended-length collar. On the heel section, you can see a molded heel kick which may be useful to get the boots off (note, this is not for crampons) and for snowshoes’ straps, and some extra rubber overlay for extra protection and support.
On the toe section, you also have a rubber cap for reinforcement and protection because this is the are most subject to stress and abrasion.
In the front part, you have a gaiter D-ring to use in case of snow, see the picture below. The boots are with 7 pairs of eyelets (4 metal and 3 webbing), and this with the mentioned collar height indicates that you have a lot of ankle support for stability.
There are several segments related to the insulation of these boots. These include Oboz’ s 200 g Thinsulate insulation, a wool-topped BFit Thermal Footbed, and a cold-weather-specific outsole featuring winter rubber.
The synthetic insulation works well for boots because it maintains its insulation features almost unchanged even when/if it becomes wet. In the same time, it also dries faster than any other material.
BDry waterproof and breathable membrane
With these boots, you will be safe in crossing creeks and mud, and in walking in rain and snow. The waterproof system includes the following elements:
- Tape-sealed polyurethane film bootee, which waterproofs shoes while in the same time it let’s sweat escape.
- Hydrophobic upper materials. This implies that the leather won’t absorb water.
- The textile lining inside these boots wicks sweat away, so feet stay dry from the inside out.
Granite Peak sole structure
Here you have the following elements:
- Very supportive dual density EVA (Ethylene-vinyl acetate) midsole cushioning. This is the top layer in the picture on the right.
- A slim but strong TPU chassis aimed at protecting feet from stone bruising and sharp rocks, and at the same time enhancing torsional stability. Note that TPU stands for Thermoplastic polyurethane, a very strong but elastic and durable plastic material. This is the yellow structure in the middle of the picture.
- Toothy carbon rubber bottom thread for superior traction and durability, the lower level in the picture. It includes traction-enhancing side lugs and 4 mm directional lugs, see the picture below. They have used special ICE TECH rubber which provides great grip regardless of the temperatures.
BFIT deluxe insoles
This is an anatomically-designed structure designed to maximize stability and support in all their backpacking boots and hiking shoes. It includes a supportive arch and a deep cushioning heel cup. Triple-density EVA throughout provides both cushioning and durability, and a shot of urethane under the metatarsals adds extra protection to high-strike zones.
The insole is wool-topped for extra insulation, and on the bottom side, it is with reflective material to deflect the cold, see the picture.
Pros & Cons
Here is my summary:
- Purpose: backpacking, hiking, daily life use in winter conditions.
- Type: insulated boots.
- Weight (M 9): 24.6 oz (697 g).
– Upper: Waterproof All Nubuck Leather.
– 200 gram 3M Thinsulate insulation layer.
– Oboz BDry waterproof and breathable membrane.
– Molded rubber toe cap and heel kick.
- 8 inches collar height.
- Gaiter D-ring.
- The number of eyelets: 7.
- Toe and heel protection.
- BFit Thermal insole.
– Dual density EVA.
– TPU chassis.
– Nylon shank.
- Outsole: Granite Peak, ICE TECH rubber outsole.
- Colors: 2.
- Warranty: one year limited.
So to conclude this text about Oboz Bridger 8 Insulated BDry hiking boots for men, these are great boots, very nicely built, reliable and very durable. It is hard to find any true objection to these boots, well, except the price perhaps. I can certainly recommend them for any activity at low temperature in rain and snow conditions.
Note that there exists also a model for women, Oboz Bridger 7″ Insulated BDry Hiking Boot with the same features.
If you need more insulation, you might want to check these boots by Merrel with 400 g of insulation, Merrell Men’s Fraxion Shell 6 Winter Hiking Boot. But if you need good hiking boots without insulation, I warmly suggest checking this text with 7 great models.
Thank you for reading, I hope the text has been useful to you. It will be great to hear from you, there is a comment box below. Have a nice day.