If you need a cabin-type freestanding summer camping tent, this Eureka Copper Canyon 4 Review is for you. The price and quality combination you have here is hard to match.
Key features & benefits
- Great price.
- Very tall tent.
- Cabin type.
- Huge windows.
- Great packed size.
- Electricity port available.
- Gear loft included.
What type of tent is this
This is an impressive tent in every sense, and you realize this from the pictures, but see more about its nature here:
- The Eureka Copper Canyon tent 4 person is a typical summer camping tent. This implies that it is not designed for very heavy rains and in particular in combination with side winds. This is because of its height, which is incredible, no less than 7 feet (84 in, 213 cm), its huge windows, and the minimal fly design. The 3 windows are a true hallmark of this model (note that the door also has one window, so you have openings on all 4 sides).
- This is also a typical freestanding tent, so you will not depend on the type of the ground when you decide to pitch this tent. You can put it on concrete, grass, sand, rock, literally anywhere. But you have seen its height; such an object is not aerodynamic, and you should not miss staking it out if you can. In the specifications you will see the minimum weight, this is without stakes and this implies what I have said about its freestanding nature.
- The mentioned height and its almost vertical walls with straight corner poles indicate that this is a cabin-type tent. So this implies lots of volume, and all this in combination with its huge windows make it a very livable and pleasant tent.
- The tent is mostly a single-layer structure. So the walls are waterproof single-layer material, and above you have a mesh ceiling covered with a fly as the second layer. All openings are double-layer as well, so you have mesh from outside and waterproof panels inside.
Who is it for
They describe it as a tent for 4 people, so the floor area is almost 6 square meters (64 square feet), which is certainly enough. But this is a square space, 8 x 8 ft (244 x 244 cm) and you can put only narrow 4 pads on the floor, up to 60 cm each. This gives some extra space in the feet area for gear as well, but note that you have no external storage like a vestibule.
You can have more space if you use bunk cots here, note that they are available both for kids and for adults. The tent is certainly very tall and with so vertical walls it will accommodate such cots easily. With bunk cots, you will still have some space for storage underneath the cots.
Regarding the weight, with its 19 lb 4 oz (8.73 kg), you will need a car. However, its packed size is truly surprising, only 26 x 7 inches (66 x 18 cm), so you can transport it on a motorbike as well. This determines the potential users. If you are on a cross-country tour with your friends, you know what you can use.
It is best that you see this time-lapse video. Observe that after spreading the tent, he starts by passing the two roof poles through the sleeves and then adds the corner poles:
Note that this Eureka Copen Canyon 4 is a part of a series which includes several tents, and it is the smallest. You can read about the larger Copper Canyon 6 tent here. A bit more about the complete series, you can see in this video from Eureka:
Materials and construction
The vertical poles are steel, and very thick, no less than 19.5 mm. The roof poles are fiberglass, 12.7 mm, so they require some care.
As you realize from the picture below, the fly is minimalistic, designed to protect only the roof where you have mesh. This is partly so also to have unobstructed views through its incredible windows.
Well, my guess is that with such windows and the mesh on the ceiling, this is the best ventilation a tent can have. But remember that windows panels must be closed when it is raining, so if such a weather continues, the tent becomes a less pleasant place. There is no space outside to prepare meals.
The waterproofness rating for this tent is 1200 mm, this is due to its PU coating. This does not look so much, but you will never need more. Compare this with an umbrella that is only 500 mm or so.
The tent has a port for electronics close to the door. It is worth mentioning also that it comes with the gear loft which you attach above the head and keep some stuff out of the way, see the picture. High-stash pockets are also on the walls.
The floor is a bathtub type, so it wraps up sides of the tent and protects it against splashes and standing water.
- Type: cabin tent, freestanding, 3-season.
- Sleeping capacity: 4 people.
- Minimum weight: 18 lb 10 oz (18.625 lb; 8.45 kg).
- Packed weight: 19 lb 4 oz (19.25 lb, 8.73 kg).
- Floor size: 8 x 8 ft (96 x 96 in; 244 x 244 cm).
- Floor area: 64 sq ft (5.95 m²)
- Interior peak height: 7 ft (84 in, 213 cm).
- Packed size: 26 x 7 in (66 x 18 cm).
- Doors: 1.
- Storage pockets: 2.
- Gear loft: 1.
- Poles: 4 + 2.
- Main 4 poles: 19.5 mm, steel.
- Roof poles: fiberglass, 12.7 mm.
- Pole attachment: sleeves, clips, ring & pin.
- Bathtub floor.
Eureka Copper Canyon tent 4 person vs competitors
In the table below I give the Copper Canyon 4 side by side with two other very popular tents built in a very similar style, so see how they compare:
COMPARE PACKAGE FEATURES
Weight, lb (kg)
Floor size, sq ft (sq m)
Peak height, in (cm)
Packed size, in (cm)
Eureka Copper Canyon 4
Payable Every Month
26 x 7 (66 x 18)
steel & fiberglass
Coleman Instant 4
Payable Every Year
31 x 18 x 9.5 (97 x 46 x 24)
Kelty Camp Cabin 4
Payable Every Year
31 x 8 (79 x 20)
steel & fiberglass
Final thoughts, rating, pros & cons
I would summarize by pointing out the style of this tent, which I love (and it is so easy to admire it), and its price which is incredible. In very moderate summer conditions, with its huge openings on all four sides, this tent provides a feeling of being at home. Its setup is easy and the packed size is wonderful.
The weight is far less impressive, but you will not carry it in any case so this does not matter really. I can fully recommend it as a tool at places with motorized access. I have included it in the list of best cabin tents for 4 people.
This tent has been around for several years, and there are many reviews. Only on Amazon you can see them in hundreds and the average rating is impressively high. See below how I rate it:
You might want to check also this new tent on the market in the cabin style form the same brand, the Eureka Desert Canyon 4 tent.
If you need something different, please visit my page with tents, there are many great models there described in detail. If you need something really affordable and different, check this Coleman Sundome 4 tent and also Kelty Sequoia 4 tent. But if you need something much bigger, for family camping or for groups, please check here.
Thank you for reading. In the case of comments or questions, please use the comment box below. I wish you a nice day.