This Kelty Coyote 80 backpack review is about the new and improved version of the very popular Kelty pack. Thus is a pack with great features, suitable for loads of up to 25 kg, for extended trekking, hiking and mountaineering tours.
Where to buy
- The best place regarding the price and shipping conditions is usually Amazon.com.
Construction & materials
Kelty Coyote 80 has a top loading system under the hood, plus a panel access from the front through a U-shaped zippered entrance. The hood is sliding and removable, so it can be used as a small summit pack, or as a pack for city walks. It has its own belt for that purpose.
There is a separate sleeping bag compartment on the bottom, with a removable divider between the two compartments.
Two loops are on the bottom section of the front, for attaching gear like ice axe or walking poles, shown on the picture right.
Two handles are attached on the sides of the pack, see the picture. Compression straps are available on the bottom compartment, to use for a sleeping pad or a bag.
The suspension system is so-called Perfect Fit Kelty’s system applied in their new models. You may see it also in my another text about Kelty Redwing 50 pack. So this is a new on-the-go concept where you adjust the torso length having the backpack in full load on your back. You will be able to see it in detail in the video below.
This is an internal frame type backpack, so there are two aluminum stays which transfer the weight to the waist area. The back HDPE panel is very well padded and all covered with a pleasant mesh. Air flow channels are nicely designed to allow hot air to escape.
The same padding and mesh structure is on the shoulder harness and on the hip belt. The latter is reinforced with HDPE. The lumbar area is with some extra padding.
Load lifters are available, and a sliding sternum strap as usual.
There are many pockets here. So you have 2 zippered pockets on the hip belt. There is a zippered organizer pocket on the front, plus one extra large stretch pocket secured by a buckle; this is a new feature.
Stretchy mesh pockets are on both sides, so 2 of them in total, and you also have 2 large zippered side pockets. These zippered pockets have a pass-through behind them. You can pass poles, an axe, or a riffle through them and then store it in the mesh pockets below, in such a way they are nicely fixed without extra compression straps. But you do have compression straps, 2 on both sides.
Two zippered pockets are on the top of the hood, both with external entrance.
Here is a video about Kelty’s Perfect Fit system, have a look:
Specifications & summary of features
- Weight: 5 lbs 5 oz (2.41 kg).
- Volume: 4900 cu in (80 L).
- Maximum weight to carry: 55 lbs (25 kg).
- Access: top + front panel + bottom compartment.
- Torso fit: 15.5 – 21 in (39 – 53 cm).
- Size: 34 x 17 x 14 in (86 x 43 x 36 cm).
- Internal frame.
- Adjustable torso; Perfect Fit suspension.
- Adjustable sternum strap.
- Hydration compatible.
- Colors: 2, ponderosa pine, twilight blue
- HDPE frame sheet.
- HDPE reinforced waist belt.
- Ventilating spacer mesh back panel.
– Body: Poly 420 D Small Back Stafford.
– Reinforcement Fabric: Poly 75 x 150 D Tasser Coal.
– Frame: dual light beam aluminum stays.
- Warranty: limited lifetime.
- Detachable day pack.
- Zippered side pockets.
- Large front pocket with organization.
- Stretch front shove-it pouch.
- Side compression straps.
- 2 ice axe loops.
- Dual pick-up handles.
Pros & cons
The rain cover can be ordered separately here.
Comparison with other brands
See how Kelty Coyote 80 pack stands with respect to several top brands’ packs of similar size:
|Removable day pack||yes
What is new in the new version of Kelty Coyote 80 pack
The previous single handle and daisy chain system along the center of the front is removed. It is replaced with two handles close to the sides of the pack. See the picture.
- The two stays on the back are no longer visible.
- Improved padding.
- One large stretchy mesh pocket with a buckle is added on the front, visible in the picture.
- Instead of 1 attachment loop on the bottom, you have 2 now.
- A bottom compartment in the new version.
- The adjustment system is the same as in the 2015 version, but it is completely different from the 2013 version. Frankly speaking, I have more trust in the 2013 version.
To conclude this Kelty Coyote 80 backpack review, this pack stands really good in comparison with other top brands. Obviously, its price is without a match. Compared to the version from 2013, the changes in the new model are numerous, and the most important are in the adjustment system. I love the old type more, and I am not sure if this is only the matter of taste.
If this pack is too big for you, please note that in 2017, Kelty has launched the smaller pack in the same series, the Coyote 65 backpack for men. So please have a look.
Thank you for reading, I hope the text has been useful. I shall be grateful if you share it with others.
It will be great to see some comment from you in the comment box below. In any case, I wish you a pleasant day.