This Marmot Tungsten UL 3P Backpacking Tent Review is about a new freestanding 3-season 3-person lightweight version of the popular tent redesigned for backpackers.
Key features & benefits
- Very lightweight.
- Reasonable price.
- Brow pole.
Who is it for
They have several versions of this tent and it is easy to get confused. The key letters in its name are UL. This is meant to mean ‘ultralight’, so indeed this is a very lightweight version built for backpackers. You can realize this if you compare it with the previous Marmot Tungsten 3P tent, which is considerably heavier.
This new version is with the trail weight 4 lb 1.3 oz (1850 g), and the packaged weight 4 lb 5.5 oz (1970 g). Such a great weight is due to very thin materials, see below in specifications.
If suitable for backpackers, this tent is great for any other outdoor activity as well, and I mean this literally.
This is a freestanding, 2-door tent, with two vestibules and for 3-season use. The floor is a catenary cut construction with seams lifted off the ground, see the picture above All the body above is just a mesh, this is good for ventilation and for shedding the weight.
The poles’ segments are pre-bent, and this is different for different zones, so you have those in the sleep zone different from the other segments. This gives some extra space inside. The clips are also strategically placed to provide a larger volume. The same purpose is of the brow pole which is added to the standard X-shaped pole construction. This transverse pole lifts the side walls and makes them almost vertical.
The fly is full coverage, its fabric is rain-shield polyester which doesn’t stretch and sag when wet. It is also designed to resist UV damages, and it is color-coded so you will not get confused when you add it on the tent. It comes with two integrated vents so ventilation should not be a problem.
If you need a tent only for protection from insects or snakes, you can leave the fly at home and have an ultra-lightweight shelter. This is the advantage of such a two-layer construction. The fly is a separate and removable part.
There are headlamps pockets in two corners which create ambient light. You also have mesh pockets in every corner for small gear, very useful to keep you organized.
As I mentioned above, all materials are thin to save weight. This is why footprint is not included, but you can order it separately
- Type: freestanding, backpacking, 3-person, 3-season tent.
- Trail weight: 4 lb 1.3 oz (1850 g).
- Packaged weight: 4 lb 5.5 oz (1970 g).
- Dimensions (H x W x L): 46 x 66 x 90 in (117 x 168 x 229 cm).
- Packed size: 22 x 8 in (56 x 20.3 cm).
- Floor area: 41.5 ft² (3.8 m²).
- Vestibules: 2, 10.6 ft² + 7.8 ft² (1.71 m²).
- Doors: 2, D-shaped.
- Poles: 3.
- Pole material: DAC Pressfit 9 mm diameter.
- Floor fabric: 30D 100% nylon, 2000 mm.
- Canopy fabric: 15D 100% nylon No-See-Um mesh.
- Fly fabric: 20D 100% polyester RS, Sil/PU 1200 mm.
- Warranty: limited lifetime.
- Stuff sack included.
- Seam taped catenary cut floor.
- Seam taped full coverage fly with vents.
- Color-coded “Easy Pitch” clips, poles and fly.
- Interior pockets for small gear.
- Jingle-free nylon zipper pulls.
- Lampshade pocket securely holds headlamp for ambient light.
- An optional footprint is available.
To conclude this Marmot Tungsten UL 3P Backpacking Tent Review, as you realize, in this tent all is about the weight, and they have managed to make it ultra-lightweight. So this tent is indeed suitable for backpackers and for any other outdoor activity. I trust the brand and can fully recommend this tent. This tent is on the list of my top backpacking tents for 3 people.
Please see how I rate this tent:
If you need something for a more regular camping use at places with a car access, please check this Marmot Tungsten 4P tent. For something different, please visit my page with tents and tarps, you will find something for you.
Thank you for reading. Please let me know if you have any comment or question, there is a comment box below. Have a nice day.