This Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 review is about a 3-season, freestanding, ultra-light (hence the letters UL) tent for 2 people, with the weight of only 1 pound and 15 ounces (879 grams).
Using Agnes Fly Creek UL2 also as a single-person tent sounds quite reasonable in view of its minimal weight and the big space you have in return. In fact, you will realize that the tent is quite small for two people.
- My rate: 8.8/10.
Best price & place to buy
- The best place regarding the price and shipping conditions is usually Amazon.com.
In this review, the main focus is on the 2-person version, but the tent comes also in the solo version, and in 3-person version. This is a prize-awarding series as you can see from the picture given here.
The pole construction consist of 3 arms, two of them around the entrance and one goes to the back of the tent.
The floor is silicon treated nylon ripstop, shaped as the bath-tab and the seam is some 20 cm above the ground. The top part of the tent is just a mesh while the part between the mesh and the floor is made of a non-transparent material. As usual with such tents, see some other examples here in the site, the mesh is aimed at providing more breathability and reducing condensation.
There are 2 pockets on the sides, and one pocket is above for (head)lamps.
The fly of this tent is in the same style: ultralight weight, with taped seams, and it covers the tent nicely and provides a generous zippered vestibule in the front.
Here is a promotion video from Big Agnes, about the Fly Creek UL series:
- The floor material is lightweight and you will have to be careful in using it, there is obviously a durability issue here. Otherwise, you will have to have an extra footprint (170 grams), but think about the weight.
- As I said above, Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 is for 2 two people but you might be a bit cramped there.
- Trail weight: 1 lb 15 oz (879 gr). This implies poles, fly and tent body.
- Size inside: 86 x 52 in (218 x 132 cm); 42 in (107 cm) foot area.
- Packed weight: 2 lb 5 oz (1 kg 48 gr). This includes poles, fly, tent body, stakes, guy lines, stuff sacks, instructions, and packaging.
Fast fly weight: 1 lb 7 oz (652 gr). This refers to the poles, tent fly and accessory fast fly footprint. So from this, you realize that the tent may be used in different variants see the fast fly variant in the picture.
- Footprint weight: 5 oz (170 gr).
- Head height: 38 inches (96.5 cm).
- Packed size: 4 x 18.5 inches (10.2 x 47 cm).
- Floor area: 28 sq ft.
- Vestibule area: 7 sq ft.
- Foot height: 24 inches (61 cm)
Summary of features
- Fly: ultralight silicone treated nylon rip-stop with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating.
- Three-season, free-standing, ultralight.
- DAC Featherlite NFL pole system with press fit connectors and lightweight hubs – featuring eco-friendly anodizing. Made from TH72M aluminum.
- Tent body: ultralight breathable nylon rip-stop and polyester mesh.
- Single hub/pole design.
- Footprint sold separately.
- DAC Twist clips attach tent body to the pole frame for quick and easy setup
- Single door and vestibule.
- Mesh pocket above head.
- All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane (No PVC or VOC’s) tape.
- 11 Superlight aluminum J stakes.
- Gear loft loops included.
If you want to read more about 2-person tents you may find 14 of them in my another review.
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent
This is the version for 1 person.
- My rate: 8.9/10.
All basic features are the same as in UL2 model. Here are some technical specifications:
- Trail weight: 1 lb 11 oz (765 gr, see the meaning explained above).
- Fast fly weight: 1 lb 4 oz (567 gr).
- Packed weight: 2 lb 1 oz (935.5 gr).
- Footprint weight: 4 oz (113 gr); sold separately.
- Packed size: 4 x 18.5 (10.2 x 47 cm).
- Floor area: 22 sq ft.
- Vestibule area: 5.5 sq ft.
- Head height: 38 in (96.5 cm).
- Foot height: 22 in (56 cm).
Best price & and place to buy
- Check directly at Amazon.com.
I hope this Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 review has been useful. This is a great tent for 2 people and good enough to be used as a solo tent as well.
The Fly Creek UL1 model presented here I rank in the same range as Nemo Hornet 1P tent presented elsewhere in this site. If you need more information about solo tents, see this review with a long list of them.
You might want to compare Big Agnes Fly Creek UL series with these similar 3-season models:
Thank you for reading. There is a comment box below, I love to hear from you.