This Mountainsmith Mayhem 30 Pack review is about the new series with an ultra-durable unique Spectra Fiber technology and a metal frame.
- Very durable materials.
- Metal frame.
- Panel loading pack.
- Unique fabric – Spectra Fiber.
So what this is about
What you have here is a pack from the new Mayhem series. If you are familiar with these packs, already from the title you see an important difference – these packs now come in different sizes. Previously, they had Mayhem 35 and Mayhem 45 packs, but now they build them as Mayhem 30 and Mayhem 40 liters.
Note that the declared volume of this Mayhem 30 is in fact 1770 in³ (29 l). But there are more changes, so keep reading. The pack is hydration ready and this means you have a hydration sleeve in the main compartment, and two ports for the pipe.
This is a panel loading pack and this implies an exceptionally long inverted-U shaped zipper that goes almost all the way from the top to the bottom. This is why you do not have a bottom compartment, the zipper opens the pack completely.
The unique fabric
This is the first pack in the U.S. with 210D Spectra Fiber Technology, an ultralight and ultra-strong fiber used by the US military. This is an ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene known for its strength and abrasion resistance.
This is a lightweight but incredibly durable material here, the top in this industry. You can read more about this technology on Wikipedia.
A bit more about features
The suspension is based on a 2 mm diameter spring steel peripheral frame, and a high-density foam frame sheet and Hex ridged EVA back panel padding with ventilation channels in several directions, see the picture below.
Shoulder straps are with a dual-density EVA/PU padding, with load lifter adjustment, and an adjustable sternum strap. Note that the shoulder harness is fixed but it is suitable for the torso length 15 – 18 inches (38 – 46 cm). The forward pull waist belt is with side adjustment webbing; this is used to stabilize the pack and to keep it closer to the body.
- One large pocket with buckle is on the front.
- One zippered pocket is on the top.
- One zippered pocket is on the underside of the top panel.
- Two stretch mesh pockets are on the sides, for water bottles or anything similar, see the picture below.
- Two pockets are on the hip belt.
Attachment elements and straps
- There is one central daisy chain on the front, and here you also have a carry handle.
- Yet another carry loop is on the top, the yellow color visible in the picture below.
- Dual compression straps are on the sides; the lover is inside/out type to run through the pocket and over it.
- Dual set of loops and bungees is on the front/bottom for poles.
- There are also sleeves on the bottom to use with one of the bungees to store an ice axe.
Note that all Mountainsmith products come with the Forged for Life Guarantee which is a unique official Mountainsmith lifetime warranty.
- Weight: 2 lb 9 oz (1.2 kg).
- Volume: 1770 in³ (29 l).
- Weight capacity: 40 lb (18 kg).
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 22 x 10.5 x 7 in (56 x 27 x 18 cm).
- Torso size range: 15 – 18 in (38 – 46 cm).
- Waist belt fit: 28 – 48 in (71 – 122 cm).
Mountainsmith Mayhem 30 Pack vs Competitors
I have decided to show you this pack side by side with Kelty Redwing Tactical 30 because they are a bit in the same style, both lack some features that may be important for hikers. I also include Deuter Futura 30 on purpose, to show how this Mayhem 30 compares with a fully-featured hiking pack.
The Futura is heavier than the other two packs but it has far more features yet it is less expensive than Mayhem 30. Please follow the links for more details:
COMPARE PACKAGE FEATURES
Weight, lb (kg)
Payable Every Month
Payable Every Year
Payable Every Year
6 + 1
Final thoughts, rating, pros & cons
This new Mountainsmith Mayhem 30 Pack is big enough for any hiking day tour or overnight hut tours, and it is also suitable for travel. The price is a bit steep but this is a high-quality product. I do not think you will find many packs on the market that could match its durability. Fully recommended.
They have also a women-specific Mayhem 30 pack and you can see it in the pictures below.
This pack is on the market with the price tag that may look a bit steep for a pack of this size, but as I said above, here you have some unique fabric and also excellent warranty conditions. Please see how I rate this pack against the usual criteria used for all the packs here in the site:
Note that this is not a sponsored text and I am not paid by the manufacturer. What do you think about this new Mountainsmith’s series? Please share your thoughts, there is a comment box below. Have a nice day.