Gregory Mountain Products Icarus 40 Pack for Youth is quality but affordable fully-featured hiking pack designed with an adjustable shoulder harness so it will grow with the kid.
- Adjustable torso length.
- Ultralight backpack.
- Top & bottom access.
- Great price.
Where to buy
This pack is available on Amazon. So follow the link and check shipping conditions from your location. They have a global shipping service.
What this is about
This Gregory Icarus 40 pack is from their series of two packs which includes also Icarus 30. These are fully featured hiking packs designed for youth and for smaller people in general, with a fully adjustable shoulder harness so that the pack can grow with the kid.
This is a top loading pack with classic lid and collar underneath it, but it has also the bottom access. Note that there is no divider, so this is just an extra access point to the main compartment.
The pack is hydration compatible with the usual sleeve inside the main compartment and with the port on the top. This is a durable construction, you will see in the specifications below that they used very strong and quality fabric.
Suspension & other features
Here you have what they call Versa Fit system with an adjustable torso size in the range 13-18 inches (33-46 cm). This works together with a contoured, wrap-around hip belt, very breathable and with generous padding. This brings the load closer to the body and the pack is stable when fully loaded.
There is no metal frame here, but the pack is with an HDPE frame instead. This is partly behind its great weight which is only 2.27 lb (1.03 kg). But this pack is with the weight capacity of up to 25 lb (11.3 kg).
The back panel which you see in the picture above is from dual density and perforated foams layered on top of one another to create a supportive yet breathable back panel.
The pack has 5 pockets and they include:
- Two external zippered pockets on the lid.
- Two side stretch mesh pockets for water bottles or any other elongated item to carry fixed with the side straps.
- One large stretch mesh pocket on the front.
Attachment elements and straps
Here is what this pack offers:
- Dual compression straps are in the sides. The lower straps are with inside-out features which means you can pass them through the side pocket to stabilize the main compartment’s load, or over it to stabilize items carried in the side pockets.
- There is a loop on the bottom for hiking poles and it is paired with a bungee tie-off higher on the side, see the picture below.
- 4 Attachment loops are on the lid.
- 4 Attachment loops are on the bottom.
- 2 Extra loops are on the front, see the picture below.
- Dual attachment loops are on the hip belt, they are orange and you can see them in the pictures.
Please see a bit more in this short video:
Good and less good features
Here is my short summary:
- Adjustable harness.
- Very good hip belt.
- Top-quality materials and workmanship.
- Great weight.
- Reasonable price.
- No hip belt pockets.
- No bottom straps.
- No rain cover.
The price & rating
This pack is currently on the market with the price of around $120. This is almost a fair price for such a quality pack and from such a brand. Please see how I rate it against the same criteria used for all the packs here in the site:
My rating breakdown of the Gregory Icarus 40 Pack:
Volume/Weight ratio - 9.8/10
Features & bonuses - 8/10
Comfort - 8.8/10
Price - 8/10
User Review( votes)
- Weight: 2.27 lb (1.03 kg).
- Weight capacity: 25 lb (11.3 kg).
- Volume: 2441 in³ (40 L).
- Dimensions: 23.6 x 11.5 x 10.6 in (60 x 29 x 27 cm).
- Torso size: 13 – 18 in (33 – 46 cm).
– Body: 210D big rip nylon & 420D high density nylon.
– Base: 420D high-density nylon.
– Lining: 135D high-density polyester.
Gregory Icarus 40 Pack for Youth vs Competitors
It may be a good idea to see how this pack stands when compared with some other packs for youth. So here I show it side by side with one pack from Deuter and one from Osprey.
Deuter Fox 40 is slightly heavier but it is with a metal frame, I have had it in hands recently and can tell you it feels so light. Osprey Ace 38 is also with a metal frame but see its great weight, and it comes with a rain cover as well. Please follow the links for more details.
COMPARE PACKAGE FEATURES
Weight, lb (kg)
Hip belt pockets
Payable Every Month
Payable Every Year
Payable Every Year
So this Gregory Mountain Products Icarus 40 Pack for Youth is very well built, the price is a bit steep but more or less appropriate. A few features are missing but this is still a great pack for growing youth. I have included this pack in my list of best hiking packs for kids and youth.
Note that this is not a sponsored text and I am not paid by the brand. I love to hear from you so please use the comment box below in the case of questions or comments. I wish you a nice day.