In this Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 Review, I present 2 tents from the Copper Spur series, for 3 and for 4 people.
These are free standing, ultralight weight (hence the words UL in the name) 3-season backpacking tents that have been collecting awards for all their great features.
Copper Spur UL3 tent
Where to buy
- The best place regarding the price and shipping conditions is usually Amazon.com.
This tent is a great combination of weight, price, and comfort which it offers. The pole constructions is essentially the same as what one can see in Copper Spur UL1 and UL2.
The central pole splits on both sides into 2 poles, and there is an additional pole which crosses the main pole at its highest point, you can see this in pictures and in the video below.
The side walls are in fact connected to this cross-pole and this is what keeps them almost vertical. As a result, the internal space is in fact visually and practically larger although the floor surface is relatively similar to some other 3-people tents.
Two big zippered doors are available, one on each side, and you have 2 vestibules when the fly is on, see the floor plan in the picture below. Mesh pockets are everywhere around and they really provide a lot of space for small items.
The floor is waterproof, silicone treated nylon ripstop, and it has a bathtub shape, which adds extra protection against elements because the seam is far above the ground.
The bigger part of the tent’s body is a mesh, so ventilation is guaranteed and you should not expect condensation problems even with 3 people inside.
The height of 112 cm is a quite good feature. In combination with almost vertical walls, this gives a lot of space in every direction and one feels comfortable in the tent.
Like many other tents of Big Agnes, Copper Spur UL3 also allows for the fast fly variant (explained below), see it on the right.
In combination with the footprint (sold separately), this smart design allows you to set up the fast fly system (in case you are in a hurry, sudden rain for example), and to add the body tent after that.
In such a way, you will set up the tent body under the already positioned fly, without exposing the mesh fabric to the rain.
The fly is waterproof of course and it has vents on two sides, this is a feature which adds a lot to the comfort of this tent.
Guy lines are there to use in windy conditions and to fix the tent to the ground, but this is a truly free-standing design.
I rank it 8.8/10, but if used as a 2-person tent I would say 8.9/10.
Here is a video about Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 tent:
Copper Spur UL3: technical specifications
- Trail weight: 3 lb 11 oz (1673 gr). This implies poles, fly, and tent body.
- Packed weight: 4 lb (1814 gr). This implies poles, fly, tent body, stakes, guy lines, stuff sacks, instructions, and packaging.
- Footprint weight: 9 oz (255 gr); sold separately.
- Fast fly weight: 2 lb 14 oz (1304 gr). This includes the poles, tent fly, and accessory fast fly footprint.
- Dimensions: see the picture on the right.
- Packed size: 6.5 x 21.5 in (16.5 x 55 cm).
- Height: 44 in (112 cm).
- Floor surface: 44 sq ft (4.1 sq m).
- Vestibule surface: 9 sq ft (0.8 sq m).
Summary of features
- 3-season, freestanding, ultralight backpacking tent.
- Ultra lightweight nylon and polyester mesh tent body.
- DAC featherlight NFL pole system accompanied with press fit connectors. Poles made from TH72M aluminum.
- DAC HClip attaches tent body to cross pole.
- Ultralight silicone treated nylon rip-stop fly and floor, with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating.
- 2 doors.
- 2 vestibules with single stake outs and storm flaps over zippers.
- 8 mesh pockets and two media pockets.
- 8 superlight aluminum J stakes.
- Reflective guyline and reflective webbing on tent corners.
- Seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane (No PVC or VOC’s) tape.
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL4 tent
This is essentially the same design and materials as for UL3 tent, no differences at all.
Here I give only a few differences regarding the price and measures.
- My rate: 8.8/10.
Trail weight: 5 lb 5 oz (2410 gr).
- Packed weight: 5 lb 12 oz (2608 gr).
- Footprint weight: 11 oz (312 gr).
- Fast fly weight: 4 lb 4 oz (1928 gr).
- Head height: 50 in (127 cm).
- Dimensions: see the picture.
- Packed size: 8 x 22 in (20.3 x 56 cm).
- Floor: 57 sq ft (5.3 sq m).
- Vestibule: 13.5 sq ft (1.25 sq m).
Where to buy
- Check at Amazon.com.
My general objection to the complete series is as follows. They are too narrow for the designated number of people. In my view, it would be ideal to use UL4 as a 3-person tent, UL3 as a 2-person tent, and UL2 and Ul1 as solo tents.
So, was this Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 review useful? Please give me some feedback in the comment box below. Thank you.
I thought you might like to see Big Agnes Copper Spur UL4 tent in a real storm situation in the mountains, have a look: