This new Kelty Redwing 40 review is about the modified and improved version of the very popular hiking and backpacking pack for women.
General description & construction
Kelty Redwing 40 for women is sometimes described as a day pack, but it is more than that. This is a versatile tool, suitable for overnight hiking tours, travel, and short mountaineering and trail tours as well.
The suspension system is based on an aluminum stay similar to the old model, but this is now completely behind the HDPE panel. The panel is generously padded and with air escape structuring. Everything is covered with a pleasant spacer mesh which you can see in the pictures.
The same style padding and spacer mesh is on the shoulder straps, hip belt, and on the lumbar section. The hip belt is removable. This may be convenient when you are traveling, to avoid damages or to avoid having it lost. I have seen this happening: once my daughter came from a trip without the hip belt on her backpack.
The harness is fixed but it can accommodate 10 centimeters range, from 37 to 47 torso length.
In total you have around 7 main pockets, not counting organizers inside the front pocket. One zippered pocket is on the top, 2 stretch mesh pockets are on the side, another 2 large zippered pockets are also on the side, one big organizer pocket is on the front.
There is also a stash pocket secured by a top buckle, behind this front pocket, you can see it on the right.
The zippered side pockets have pass-through feature, which you may see in the picture. This is a space between the pocket and the main body of the pack. You may see it in the picture below.
One internal sleeve is in the main compartment, for hydration bladder or for a computer. Here is a short video (1:31) about Kelty Redwing 40 pack, have a look:
Summary of technical specifications & features
- Women’s specific suspension.
- Weight: 2 lbs 10 oz (1.2 kg).
- Volume: 2400 cu in (39 L).
- Dimensions: 23 x 14 x 12 in (58 x 36 x 30 cm).
- Torso fit: 14.5 – 18.5 in (37 – 47 cm).
- Frame: internal.
- Access: top/front panel.
- Hide-away daisy chain and handle.
- Ice axe/trekking pole loops.
- Adjustable sternum strap.
- Load lifter straps.
- Removable waist belt.
- Hydration compatible.
- Top stash pocket.
- Dual side pockets.
- Front pocket with organization.
- Front stash pocket with closure buckle.
- Water bottle pockets.
- Dual-use laptop/hydration sleeve.
- Side compression straps.
– Single LightBeam aluminum stay.
– HDPE frame sheet.
– Padded and ventilating back panel.
– Hex mesh back panel, shoulder straps and waist belt.
– Body fabric: poly 420 D small back stafford.
– Reinforcement fabric: poly 75 x 150 D tasser coal.
- Colors: black, deep lake.
Pros & cons
What is new in the new version
- Back panel modified and padding improved, the central stay is no longer visible.
- Carry handle with a daisy chain in the center on the front redesigned, it is hideaway type in the new version.
- A stash pocket on the front.
- 2 attachment loops on the bottom instead of 1.
To conclude this new Kelty Redwing 40 review, this is the latest version of a very popular pack for women that has already been redesigned in the past. Compared to other top models, this pack stands very well.
Please check the links for the best possible price. You might get a free shipping as well.
I hope this text has been useful. Please share it with others. Thank you for reading and do leave me some comment in the box below. I wish you a pleasant day.