Osprey Sirrus 50 for women is a completely redesigned lightweight backpack. Several essential new features have been added and the pack has been considerably improved.
- Top-quality product.
- Great suspension system with a fully adjustable harness.
- Bonus rain cover.
- Extra entrance to the main compartment.
What is new in the new version
- The harness is adjustable, as compared with the fixed harness in the previous version.
- One external zippered pocket on the lid, as compared to two in the previous version.
- One large front storage pocket with a buckle on the top. It is absent in the previous model.
- Two front vertical zippers with pockets, as compared to one in the previous version.
- Additional side zippered entrance to the main compartment. In the previous version, this was a U-shaped entrance on the front.
Osprey Sirrus 50 for women – pack with great features
Sirrus 50 is a great lightweight pack for overnight and weekend hiking and mountaineering tours as well as for lightweight backpacking. This pack is the largest in the Sirrus series which includes the 36 liters and 24 liters pack, both described in this site. With the volume of 50 liters, it weighs only 1.63 kg, and it is designed to carry the load of up to 18 kg.
The Sirrus 50 to is a top-loading type, and the lid is movable and removable, which makes it different from the smaller pack in the series, Sirrus 36. There are differences here in comparison with the previous model, as mentioned above. In the new version, there is only one zipped top pocket on the lid, and one zippered mesh pocket underneath the lid.
The pack is with an extra side zippered entrance, which is quite different from the large U-shaped opening available in the previous version.
On the bottom of the pack, you have a separate sleeping bag compartment with its own zippered entrance. The pack is hydration compatible and the water bladder sleeve is in the main compartment.
The pack comes with an integrated rain cover, stored in a separate pocket on the bottom.
The Sirrus 50 comes in two sizes XS/S and S/M, and this holds for the complete series. Yet, in addition to this, the new version comes with an adjustable harness with a precise fit for any torso length in the range 13 – 17 inches (33 – 43 cm) for the XS/S and 16 – 20 inches (41 – 51 cm) for the S/M size. The suspension is supported by Osprey’s LightWire alloy frame.
The padding and the mesh in the suspension system are inspired by the Osprey’s anti-gravity system, as you can realize from the picture. This is what they call AirSpeed system but it is modified in this new series. So this is a very comfortable and ventilated tensioned mesh back panel, and the same structure continues on the hip belt which is almost without seams.
As mentioned above, the adjustable torso is a completely new feature introduced in the new version of the pack. To adjust the torso, please follow these steps:
- To allow the harness moving up and down, first loosen the load lifter straps.
- Next, slide your hand between the back panel and the harness to release hook and loop attachment.
- Move the harness into the desired position.
- Next, press on the back panel to re-engage the hook and loop attachment.
This is demonstrated in the pictures below:
This is a women-specific design with a narrower harness as compared with the version for men. Anatomical shoulder straps are designed to fit women’s profile. The hip belt is also shaped and angled to accommodate the difference in women’s hips which are conically shaped and with a larger difference between the waist and hip as compared with men.
Dual side compression straps are available, and dual removable compression straps are on the bottom section, for a sleeping pad attachment or for any other piece of equipment.
As mentioned above, there is a new front panel storage pocket with a buckle on the top. Dual side mesh stretch pockets are available, as well as dual zippered pockets on the hip belt.
The pack comes with Osprey’s Stow-on-the-Go attachment system for the trekking poles, see the picture above. With this, you can store your poles when you are walking, to have free hands to take a photo or to eat and drink something. For technical hikes, you have a loop and a bungee tie-off for an ice axe attachment.
See some more details about the complete Sirrus and Stratos series in this video by Osprey:
Technical specifications & summary of features
– XS/S: 3.457 lb (1.59 kg).
– S/M: 3.582 lb (1.63 kg).
– XS/S: 2868 cub in (47 l).
– S/M: 3051 cub in (50 l).
- Size (L x W x D):
– XS/S: 24.8 x 12.6 x 13.8 in (63 x 32 x 35 cm).
– S/M: 26.8 x 12.6 x 13.8 in (68 x 32 x 35 cm).
- Carry weight: 40 lb (18 kg).
- Torso fit:
– XS/S: 13 – 17 in (33 – 43 cm).
– S/M: 16 – 20 in (41 – 51 cm).
– Main: 210D Nylon Crosshatch.
– Accent: 420HD Nylon Packcloth.
– Bottom: 420HD Nylon Packcloth.
– Frame: aluminum alloy.
- Integrated rain cover.
- Side panel zip access to the main compartment.
- Zippered sleeping bag compartment with bellowed divider.
- Removable top lid.
- Dual side compression straps.
- Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment.
- Sternum strap adjustable and with safety whistle.
- Dual side stretch mesh pockets.
- Dual zippered hip belt pockets.
- Zippered slash pocket on the lid.
- Under the lid zippered mesh pocket.
- Front panel pleated fabric shove-it pocket.
- Dual vertical zippered slash pocket on front panel.
- Ice axe loop with bungee tie-off.
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve.
- Removable sleeping pad straps.
- Guarantee: Osprey’s All Mighty.
Conclusion, rating, pros & cons
As you realize from the text, the Osprey Sirrus 50 for women pack has been completely redesigned and they could have launched it as a new series. This is an almost perfect pack (yeah, I miss side zippered pockets) and it is hard to find any true objection to it. Though the design is completely new and the time will show how people are going to react on it. As it stands now, it looks really great, with a moderate weight and a reasonable price tag.
If this pack is too big for you, I have already mentioned above that there is a smaller pack from the same series, Sirrus 36.
Thank you for reading. In the case of questions and comments please use the comment box below. I wish you a pleasant day.