Osprey Kresta 30 snow backpack for women is a great pack for day tours in winter conditions, suitable for any activity on the snow. It allows for carrying skis, snowboard, and snowshoes.
Key benefits & unique features
- Ideal size for day tours.
- Very modern design.
- Plenty of useful features to carry snow equipment: helmet, skis, snowshoes, and snowboard.
- Unique insulated water hose sleeve along the shoulder strap.
- Zippered hydration pocket separated from the dry compartment.
This is a pack with a women’s specific design. So the harness is in the shape and size to perfectly fit a female body. This also implies that the space between the shoulder straps is more narrow, the hip belt is conical, and they both are contoured for women’s body size.
Kresta 30 pack is a panel type, so you have a zippered entrance to the main compartment. The entrance is from the back side, the zipper runs all around the back panel. This allows you to put the pack with its front on the ground together with all gear still attached to it, and access the stuff inside the main (dry) compartment without getting the harness wet from the snow. Such a clever design you can see also in the Deuter Freerider PRO 30 pack mentioned in the comparison table below.
The pack is hydration compatible and you have a separate zippered sleeve inside the main compartment, so it is completely separated from the dry compartment. A unique feature is a long zippered sleeve that runs along the right shoulder strap. It is insulated and designed to protect the water hose from freezing.
From the pictures, you can see that all zipper pulls are large and glove-friendly. The same is with the designs of buckles on this pack.
In the pictures, you can see two horizontal straps with buckles on the front. They are reinforced and designed to attach snowshoes, snowboard, or skis, and to carry them vertically. For this purpose, the fabric on the front is reinforced as well. Skis can be carried in an A-frame or diagonally.
There is a small velcro pocket on the front, which contains a helmet holster. So a helmet can be stored in the holster and attached to the top of the pack.
One attachment loop for the ice axe is on the bottom front section.
The suspension system
The suspension is based on a thermoformed anatomic back panel and a peripheral aluminum frame. Such a design is good to carry up to 14 kg of stuff. The material covering the harness is with snow-shedding features and it also prevents ice forming on it. Therefore you do not have the usual mesh so typical for ordinary hiking packs.
You have enough padding on the shoulder harness and on the hip fins, and the complete structure is anatomic, designed for women’s body.
On the shoulder straps, you have load lifters that are with buckles, and the chest strap is adjustable and equipped with an emergency whistle.
The harness is fixed, but there are two possible sizes to choose your best fit, see more in the specifications below.
Very useful dual zippered stretch mesh pockets are on the hip belt. One small mesh zippered pocket with a key clip is in the dry (main) compartment described above.
One scratch-free zippered pocket is on the top, close to the reinforced carry handle.
One long zipper on the front allows for access to the large front pocket for safety gear. Here you have organization pockets for a shovel, its handle, and snow probe. One extra zippered mesh pocket is inside as well.
All these features you can see presented in this short video by Osprey, please have a look:
Pros & Cons
My summary looks as follows:
- Women’s specific design.
- Purpose: winter sports.
- Two sizes:
– XS/S: 1709 cu in (28 l).
– S/M: 1831 cu in (30 l).
– XS/S: 3.04 lb (1.38 kg).
– S/M: 3.16 lb (1.43 kg).
- Max size: 20 x 12 x 12 in (51 x 30 x 30 cm).
- Max. carry weight: 30 lb (13.6 kg).
- Torso fit:
– XS/S: 13 – 17 in (33 – 43 cm).
– S/M: 16 – 20 in (41 – 51 cm).
- Waist fit:
– XS/S: 33 – 43 in (84 – 109).
– S/M: 40.5 – 51 in (103 – 130 cm).
– Frame: Aluminum Lightwire.
– Fabric body: 420 HD nylon packcloth.
– Accents: 420 D Nylon Mini Check Dobby.
– Compression molded back panel with snow-shedding properties.
– Abrasion resistant PU texture to the front panel.
- Access: panel type.
- Fixed harness.
- Adjustable sternum strap with emergency whistle.
- Insulated shoulder harness hydration sleeve.
- Compatible with Hydraulics and Hydraulics LT Reservoir.
- Diagonal and side ski carry.
- Vertical snowboard & snowshoes carry.
- Quick access avalanche safety kit pocket with shovel handle and probe sleeves.
- Twin zippered hip belt pockets.
- Microfleece goggle pocket.
- Integrated ski/climbing helmet storage.
- Glove friendly buckles and zippers.
- Stowable single ice axe loop.
- Helmet chin strap attachment loop.
- Internal key attachment clip.
- Back panel entry to the main compartment.
- Internal wet/dry compartment.
- Colors: 2, see the pictures.
- Warranty: Osprey’s All Mighty applies.
To conclude, Osprey Kresta 30 snow backpack for women is among the best in its category of winter packs. Ideally suited for day tours, it offers a lot of space for all gear you may need during a day on the snow. So you can carry: a helmet, skis, snowboard, and snowshoes. I can warmly recommend this pack. If you need a smaller pack either for women or for men, please see these Kresta 20 and Kamber 22 packs.
Still undecided? See this Deuter Freerider PRO 30 pack, the same size, and with similar features.
Thank you for reading. Please share this text if you find it useful. If you have any question or comment, there is a comment box below. Have a nice day.