Osprey Kresta 20 snow pack for women is a completely new Osprey’s 20-liter pack and their first winter pack designed specifically to fit women’s body.
Benefits & unique features
- Series of features needed for winter activities (specific pockets, attachment points, special freeze resistant insulated hose routing through the shoulder harness).
- This is a completely new model with a modern and unique design.
- Two sizes to chose for your best fit.
Osprey Kresta 20 is the smallest pack in the winter series for women, which also includes packs of 30 and 40 liters. Built in Osprey’s tradition, this packs provides maximum comfort, durability, and safety. You have two torso sizes, see more in specifications below.
The backpack has several features needed for winter activities, like a specific pocket of goggles, attachment points for skis and a snowboard, insulation for water hose, etc., all presented below.
The pack is hydration compatible, with a sleeve inside the main compartment and a hanger above it. Something completely unique is the zippered and insulated water hose sleeve (pocket) which is all along the right shoulder harness, you can see it in the picture below.
All zipper pulls and buckles on this pack are glove-friendly, so you will have no problems to use them even with thick gloves. Some of them you can see in the picture.
For the gear attachment, you have a strap with buckle completely on the top. This is a unique lasso-type strap that stores neatly out of the way when you do not use it.
On the sides and on the front, completely on the bottom, you have compression straps where you can attach skis or a snowboard. This segment is particularly strong and reinforced, to be used for diagonal ski attachment and vertical snowboard attachment, in combination with the top strap. See it in the picture below.
The front is built with a smooth surface with snow shedding properties. But here you have a separate pocket with a helmet holder, so you take it out when you need it and attach the helmet on the top of the pack. There are additional webbing loops on the top for this purpose.
Finally, you have an ice axe loop on the bottom, and it is paired with a bungee loop higher on the front-top section.
The suspension system
Being a pack specifically designed for women, it has:
- a more narrow harness,
- specific conical profile of the hip belt and specific profile of the shoulder harness,
- specific color combinations.
The back panel is compression-molded and anatomically contoured, with pleasant padding and very smooth surface for snow shedding. In addition to this, you have a peripheral Lightwire frame.
This may look unnecessary for a pack of such a size, but it is designed to carry skis and snowboard, so such a supportive and stable back system is necessary.
The shoulder straps are with load lifters and with an adjustable sternum strap equipped with a safety whistle. Note that the harness is not adjustable, so choose one of the two sizes in the moment of purchase.
This pack has a special scratch-free pocket on the top where you can store goggles. Inside the main compartment, you have a zippered mesh pocket for valuables.
On the front section, you have a large compartment, or pocket if you wish, for snow safety gear, with a color-coded zipper pull. Here you have separate sleeves for a shovel, its handle, as well as for avalanche probes. In addition, you have also yet another zippered mesh pocket on the flap of this compartment.
On the hip belt, you have two quite sizeable dual stretch zippered pockets.
The Osprey’s video below shows the complete series for men (Kember packs) and for women (Kresta packs), so please have a look:
Pros & Cons
My summary looks as follows:
- Main purpose: snow activities.
- Gender: women specific.
- Two sizes:
– XS/S: 18 liters (1098 cub in).
– S/M: 20 liters (1220 cub in ).
– XS/S: 2.05 lb (0.93 kg).
– S/M: 2.14 lb (0.97 kg).
- Max. carry weight: 25 lb (11.3 kg).
- Torso fit:
– XS/S: 13-17 in (33 – 43 cm).
– S/M: 16-20 in (41 – 51 cm).
- Waist fit:
– XS/S: 33 – 43 in (84 – 109 cm).
– S/M: 40.5 – 51 in (103 – 130 cm).
- Maximum dimensions (L x W x D): 49 x 28 x 20 cm (19.3 x 11 x 8 in).
– Frame: HDPE and Lightwire.
– Body: 420 HD Nylon Packcloth.
– Accents: 420 D Nylon Mini Check Dobby.
- Compression molded back panel with snow-shedding properties.
- Adjustable sternum strap with emergency whistle.
- Adjustable ski/snowboard lasso carry strap.
- Insulated shoulder harness hydration sleeve.
- Panel loading.
- Quick access avalanche safety kit pocket with shovel handle and probe sleeves.
- Diagonal ski carry.
- Vertical snowboard carry.
- Integrated ski/climbing helmet storage.
- Twin zippered hip belt pockets.
- Compatible with Hydraulics and Hydraulics LT Reservoir.
- Stowable single ice axe loop.
- Glove friendly buckles.
- Helmet chin strap attachment loop.
- Internal hydration sleeve.
- Internal key attachment clip.
- Internal wet/dry compartment.
- Main compartment with an elasticated load control system.
- Microfleece goggle pocket.
- Guarantee: Osprey’s All Mighty.
- Hydration Compatible.
- Colors: 2.
To conclude this text about the Osprey Kresta 20 snowpack for women, as you realize this is a part of a completely new series, and a specific design for women, built in the best tradition of Osprey. It is hard to find any true objection to this pack. It is lightweight, but sturdy, functional and very reliable, and designed specifically for winter sports. I can fully recommend it.
If this pack is small for you, as mentioned above, there are larger versions Kresta 30 and Kresta 40 available on the market. The corresponding pack for men is Osprey Kamber 22 pack, with essentially the same features.
Thank you for reading. If you have any comment or question, please use the comment box below. I wish you a pleasant day.