Need a day pack for snow? Here is something for you: Osprey Kamber 22 snow pack for men, a lightweight 22 liters pack for day tours with skis or a snowboard. It is made of snow shedding materials and with a slim design suitable for outdoor winter activities. The pack allows for diagonal ski carry and vertical snowboard carry.
- Lightweight but durable and reliable.
- Modern design.
- Insulated water hose sleeve along the shoulder strap.
- Ski and snowboard attachment systems.
Osprey Kamber 22 pack is the smallest in the Kamber series which also includes packs Kamber 32 and Kamber 42 liters. They all share some common features, so what you have in the smallest pack is naturally available in the bigger packs as well.
This is a completely new and modern series for winter activities, launched in the Fall of 2016.
The main compartment is with panel-type zippered access. The pack is made of a very durable 420 HD fabric, abrasion-resistant and also water-resistant. All zippers are with large pull loops, visible in the pictures, so you can use them with gloves. All buckles are also made glove-friendly.
The hydration system in place here is quite unique, designed specifically for winter conditions. So you have a freeze-resistant insulated zippered sleeve which runs along the right shoulder strap, and the water hose is completely protected from freezing. You can see it partly in the picture below.
On the bottom front section, you have a reinforced strap to attach skis or for a snowboard. In this case, you will also use yet another strap which is normally stowed under a flap on the top of the pack.
A single reinforced tool loop is on the bottom for an ice axe attachment, and together with it, you will use a bungee tie-off which is higher up (and which is also stowable in its own small pocket when not in use).
The suspension system
On the back, you have a molded HDPE frame sheet that gives structure and support and Osprey’s LightWire peripheral aluminum frame around the perimeter.
The surface of the back panel is made smooth and with snow shedding properties. It also prevents ice from building up. The same material is used in the shoulder harness and hip belt. The shoulder straps are contoured and anatomical.
The padding is really good enough for this size pack, and appropriate for the maximum load of 25 lb (11.3 kg).
The harness is not adjustable, but you have two sizes to choose, see more in the specifications below. You also have load-lifter straps that allow for some fine-tuning of the torso length.
The sliding sternum strap is with an emergency whistle. Surprisingly, the whistle is oriented toward the ground, hard to understand why, see the pictures.
Dual sizeable zippered mesh pockets are on the hip belt. On the front, you have a zippered front pocket with an organization inside. It is meant to store avalanche emergency gear (shovel, its handle, avalanche probe). Such items can be wet, and for this purpose, there is an opening for water to get out, on the bottom of this compartment.
On the top, you have a scratch free zippered goggle pocket. On the front of the pack, you have yet another small pocket with a velcro tab, where a helmet sling is stored. So you can store a helmet here and fix the sling to two top loops.
There are two internal zippered mesh pockets, one in the main compartment and one in the front emergency pocket. Here is a video from Osprey presenting all packs from the Kamber and Kresta series, so please have a look:
Pros & Cons
My summary looks as follows:
- Purpose: snow activities.
- Gender: pack for men.
- Two sizes:
– S/M: 20 liters (1220 cubic inches).
– M/L: 22 liters (1343 cubic inches).
– S/M: 2 lbs. 6.5 oz (1.1 kg).
– M/L: 2 lb 12.6 oz (1.27 kg).
- Torso fit:
– S/M: 16 – 20 inches (41 – 51 cm).
– M/L: 19 – 23 inches (48 – 58 cm).
- Waist belt fit:
– S/M: 40.5 – 51 inches (103 – 130 cm).
– M/L: 48 – 58.5 inches (122 – 149 cm).
- Max size: 22 x 11 x 8 in (51 x 27 x 22 cm).
- Maximum carry weight: 25 lb (11.3 kg).
– Frame: HDPE + peripheral Osprey’s Lightwire.
– Body: 420 HD Nylon Packcloth.
– Accents: 420 D Nylon Mini Check Dobby.
- Fixed harness.
- Pack access: front panel.
- Compatible with Hydraulics and Hydraulics LT Reservoir.
- Adjustable sternum strap with emergency whistle.
- Compression molded back panel with snow-shedding properties.
- Adjustable ski/snowboard lasso carry strap.
- Insulated shoulder harness hydration sleeve.
- Quick access avalanche safety kit pocket with shovel handle and probe sleeves.
- Integrated ski/climbing helmet storage.
- Twin zippered hip belt pockets.
- Warranty: Osprey’s All Mighty.
- Stowable single ice axe loop.
- Abrasion resistant PU texture to front panel.
- Diagonal ski carry.
- Vertical snowboard carry.
- Glove-friendly buckles and zipper pulls.
- Helmet chin strap attachment loop.
- Internal hydration sleeve.
- Internal key attachment clip.
- Internal wet/dry compartment.
- Main compartment with an elasticated load control system.
- Microfleece goggle pocket.
- Colors: 3
To conclude this text about Osprey Kamber 22 snow pack for men, this is a very modern design and a completely new line from Osprey, suitable for any sort of day tours in winter conditions. Lightweight and durable, this is a tool you need out there. I fully recommend this backpack.
Thank you for reading. It will be great to hear from you, there is a comment box below.