In this new Kelty Redwing 44 backpack review, I present the improved version of a very popular hiking pack. Kelty Redwing 44 is a typical mid-range overnight or weekend pack, very popular, durable and suitable for hiking and mountaineering tours.
New Kelty Redwing 44 – general description
Redwing 44 is a panel-type loading pack, with a very long U-shaped zipper on the top and along the front of the pack. As long as the side compression straps are locked, you can open it only partly and use as a top loader.
The pack is hydration compatible, and the padded hydration sleeve is inside the main compartment. You have two compression straps on both sides of the pack, visible in the picture on the right.
The suspension system is based on a single centrally positioned aluminum stay on the back, and a HDPE frame. It is completely covered by a very pleasant padding. The shoulder straps are well-padded and the same is with the hip belt. There is an adjustable sternum strap, and load lifters are also available.
The hip belt is removable. To do this, you first remove the aluminum stay, which is accessible from the main compartment. After that, the hip belt can be removed. You will notice that there are no pockets on the hip belt wings.
You have two good size zippered side pockets, and two stretch-mesh pockets for water bottles. Just like in the old model, you have a pass-through behind the zippered side pockets. This is the same feature you can find in other Kelty models. One zippered pocket is on the top.
One large organization pocket is on the front, equipped with a long U-shaped zipper. You also have a stash pocket behind the front pocket. It is secured by a hook on the top. This is a new feature that comes with the new model.
Please see this very short video about the NEW version of the Kelty Redwing 44 backpack:
Technical specifications & summary of features
- Weight: 2 lbs 10 oz (1.2 kg).
- Volume: 2700 cu in (44 L).
- Body fabric: poly 420 D small back Stafford.
- Reinforcement fabric: poly 75×150 D Tasser Coal.
- Frame: aluminum + HDPE.
- Torso fit: 14.5 – 18.5 in (37 – 47 cm).
- Dimensions: 25 x 15 x 12 in (64 x 38 x 30 cm).
- Dual side pockets.
- Water bottle pockets.
- Top stash pocket.
- Front pocket with organization.
- Front stash pocket with closure hook.
- Side compression straps.
- Dual-use laptop/hydration sleeve.
- Hide-away daisy chain and handle.
- Dual ice axe/trekking pole loops.
- Key fob.
- Hex mesh back panel, shoulder straps and waist belt.
- Padded and ventilating back panel.
- Sternum strap.
- Load lifter straps.
- A single light beam aluminum stay.
- Removable waist belt.
What is new in the new model
- Redesigned (tuck away) daisy chain handle on the front, instead of the suitcase-style handle in the old version, see the pictures below.
- Redesigned back panel padding. The central stay is not visible in the new model.
- New stash pocket added on the front, behind the front pocket.
- Two attachment loops on the bottom, instead of one in the old model.
- Slight difference in volume: 2650 cubic inches in the old model, 2700 in the new model. The corresponding sizes are: 57.2 x 41.9 x 34.3 cm in the old model, and 64 x 38 x 30 cm in the new model.
Conclusion & rating
To conclude this new Kelty Redwing 44 backpack review, this is a very good weekend pack with a simple and reliable construction and with quality materials. The padding is very pleasant and comfortable, and it simply looks great. Here you have an incredible value/price combination and a very reliable brand behind this pack. Fully recommended.
But there are details I dislike. I do not like the side pockets design because of the following. The lower stretch pockets are too close to the upper zippered pockets. It is difficult to put a big bottle in the lower pocket when the upper pocket is full. The same issue you have in the old model.
If you climb in the Alps, having a rain cover is essential. This pack comes without it. Redwing 44 is a relatively big pack, yet it is without any harness adjustment system.
There are hundreds of reports on Amazon and the average rating is very high. Please see how I rate this pack:
You might want to see also this new variant, the Kelty Redwing 44 tactical pack.
Thank you for reading. I hope this text has been useful to you, if so please share it with others. I shall be happy to hear from you, there is a comment box below. Have a nice day.