Updated May 2017.
In this Marmot Tungsten 1 person tent review, I present a backpacking tent for solo travelers, mountain climbers, and hikers.
This is a free-standing 2-layer type tent for 3 seasons, made of very durable and reliable materials. The tent is from the Tungsten series which includes sizes for 1, 2, 3, and 4 people.
Best place to buy
- The best place regarding the price and shipping conditions is usually Amazon.com.
The structure is similar to other tents from the Tungsten series, a 2-pole x-shaped construction of durable aluminum poles. The lower sections of the poles are pre-bent to add extra space in the four corners of the tent, completely the same as in Tungsten 3P model.
The body is mainly a mesh, with panel only in the lowest section directly above the floor. The floor is of durable 68D material, with taped seams not touching the ground. The door is relatively small, and it can be rolled sideways and fixed to the body.
The same denier material is used for the fly, which is thus durable, waterproof and with taped seams. The fly comes with a vent, a good feature with respect to ventilation and breathability.
The zipper of the vestibule is protected by a flap. The fly on the side opposite to the entrance can be staked out in order to improve ventilation.
Inside the tent, you have a mesh pocket next to the door, and attachment hooks above. In addition, there is a diffusive pocket for the headlamp above the head.
Marmot Tungsten 1 person tent comes with a footprint included. This truly adds value to this tent.
Everything is color coded for an easy setup. There are 4 guy-out reflective points on each corner to stake the tent. But I stress this is a free-standing tent which is therefore easily pitched on any terrain.
Here is a video from Marmot about Tungsten series:
Technical specifications & summary of features
- Minimum weight: 3 lbs 8 oz (1588 g). This includes poles, body, and fly.
- Maximum weight: 3 lbs 12 oz (1705 g).
- Dimensions (H x W x L): 38 x 36 x 84 in (97 x 92 x 214 cm).
- Packed size: 18 x 6 in (45.7 x 16 cm).
- Floor size: 21 sq ft (1.95 sq m).
- Vestibule: 8.75 sq ft (0.84 sq m).
- Floor material: 68 D polyester taffeta 190 T 2000 mm F/R.
- Canopy: 40 D 100% polyester no-see-um mesh F/R; 68 D 100% polyester taffeta F/R.
- Fly: 68 D polyester taffeta 190 T 1800 mm F/R.
- 2 poles, DAC press-fit 8.5 mm.
- Marmot volume optimizing structure: pre-bent poles create more space in the corners; strategic clip placement make interior volume larger.
- Footprint included.
- 1 door, 1 vestibule.
- Seam-taped full coverage fly with vents.
- Seam-taped catenary cut floor (seams above the ground).
- Color coded clips, poles, and fly.
- Lamp shade pocket.
- Interior mesh pockets.
- Jingle-free nylon zipper pulls.
Here is a comparison table, with Tungsten 1P, and several other tents of the same type:
- Hard to find any really; I would only point out a quite small door.
I am hopeful that this Marmot Tungsten 1 person tent review has been useful. This tent ranks pretty well among other tents of the same class. If you are on a really long expedition trip where grams count, then perhaps you might choose some lighter model. Otherwise, Tunsgen 1P is a great tent made of very durable materials which will offer you full protection of elements.