In this Kelty Salida 1 tent review, I present a truly great solo backpacking freestanding 3-season tent which offers the best possible price and value combination.
Built of reliable and durable materials, this is a tent from an award-winning series which includes tents for 1, 2 and 4 people.
Best place to buy
- The best place regarding the price and shipping conditions is usually Amazon.com.
If you have a look in technical specifications below you will realize that this is a quality-built 2-layer design. It comes with an internal mesh pocket and gear attachment loops above the head.
Freestanding implies that you can pitch this tent on any terrain. This is a feature which you will learn to appreciate if you find yourself on a rocky or frozen terrain where you cannot possibly use any stakes to secure the tent.
Sidewalls are made of mesh and panels, the floor is waterproof and seams are taped. The same features you will see in the fly.
Color coding is applied in the design of this tent so the setup is easy and straightforward.
Salida 1 tent is a 2-pole x-shaped construction (see it in the picture on the right) which provides a good stability in any weather conditions.
The tent has a D-shaped door on the side, with a toggle system so that the door can be rolled up and fixed to the side of the tent body.
Many features of this great tent are completely the same as in the 2-person model presented elsewhere within this site, so please have a look there as well, there are a few videos available about these tents.
Technical specifications & summary of features
- Minimum weight: 3 lb 6 oz (1.53 kg).
- Packaged weight: 3 lb 14 oz (1.76 kg).
- Floor size: 20 sq ft (1.86 sq m).
- Vestibule area: 6.5 sq ft (0.6 sq m).
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 86 x 38/29 x 38 in (218 x 99/74 x 97 cm). The two widths correspond to 2 ends of the tent.
- 2 poles, DAC press-fit aluminum.
- Packed size: 11 x 14 in (28 x 36 cm).
- Floor: 68D nylon, 1800 mm.
- Wall: 68D polyester, 40D no-see-um mesh.
- Fly: 68D polyester, 1800 mm.
- Color-coded clip and fly attachment.
- Backpack-friendly compact folding poles.
- Easy entry D door.
- Fully seam taped construction.
- Internal storage pockets and gear loft loops.
Please have a look in this comparison table with Kelty Salida 1 person tent and some other 1-person free-standing tents reviewed within this site.
|Kelty Salida 1||Marmot Eos||Nemo Hornet|
|Fabric D floor/fly/body||68/68/68||40/20/40||20/7/7|
I give a quite high rate to Kelty Salida 1 tent, and the main reasons are the price and the material quality. There is a justified reason for its increased weight as compared with other models. This tent is built of far more durable materials than the other models given here. In fact, if I would have to choose, Salida 1 would be my first choice.
- No fly venting, this might cause some problem with ventilation, but reviews about this whole series have been really positive with respect to this issue.
So I hope this Kelty Salida 1 tent review was useful. An important fact to remember is that its relatively low price does not imply a low quality here. This is a truly great tent. Its features and construction are very similar to the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1 tent, you might want to compare them.
But if you need more information about solo tents, see this review with a long list of them.
Please let me know what you think, there is a comment box below. Thank you and have a nice day.