This Kelty Red Cloud 90 review is about a popular pack with load hauling capability, and with an on the fly fit adjustability. For such a large pack it is very light, only 2.5 kilograms.
Where to buy
- The best place regarding the price and shipping conditions is usually Amazon.com.
The pack has a HDPE frame sheet combined with dual aluminum back stays. The role of the dual stays is also to allow the back panel moving up and down, resulting in a perfect fit for any torso length. This will accommodate any torso length between 15.5 and 21 inches.
You have a height adjustable chest strap. There is an air duct in the middle of the back for a better circulation. Dynamic Air Flow back panel is also aimed at providing better ventilation. Thick padding is everywhere on the hip belt and harness.
The collar on the top section allows for extra volume, and the accompanying lid is floating to adjust for such extra needs. This is achieved through 2 straps positioned left and right.
The lid can be removed and used as a lumbar pack or shoulder pack, it has its own integrated strap for that purpose.
The access to the main compartment is from the top, from the front, and through the sleeping bag compartment on the bottom. The divider between the two compartments can be open when the 3 toggles are undone.
I would say that this is not the best solution for the pack. A zipper would do the job far better. Small items from the main compartment can drop down to the bottom compartment very easily.
Openings for the hydration tube are both left and right. The sleeve for the water bladder is inside the main compartment, big enough for a 3 L bladder. There are 2 loops inside the main compartment for attaching carious small things.
- 2 zippered pockets on the top lid.
- A very big zippered pocket on the front, and there are daisy chain attachments on the lid of that pocket. Inside this pocket, there are 2 additional pockets for a better organization.
- 2 large bellow pockets on each side of the upper part of the pack.
- There is a pass trough behind the side pocket to store some gear like like tent poles or trekking poles.
- Mesh stretch pockets on each side of the bottom compartment.
- 2 zippered hip belt pockets.
- Weight: 5 lbs 9 oz (2.5 kg).
- Torso size: 15.5 – 21 in (39 – 53 cm).
- Volume: 5500 cubic inches (90 L).
- Dimensions (L x W x D): 33 x 19 x 15 in (84 x 48 x 38 cm).
- Body fabric: 420D polyester Ball Shadow; reinforcement fabric: 450D Polyester Oxford.
Summary of some features
- PerfectFIT adjustable suspension.
- HDPE frame sheet.
- Dual aluminum stays.
- Ventilating back panel.
- HDPE reinforced waist belt.
- Two layer padded waist belt and shoulder straps.
- Belt stabilizer straps.
- No integrated rain cover. In the Alps, I would not consider going anywhere without it.
- Divider between the two compartments fixed to the wall by 3 toggles only. Small items easily drop into the lower compartment.
- Some users have reported about problems with the zipper on the lower compartment.
Comparison with other brands
Here I give a comparison table with some top brands:
|Removable day pack||yes
If the 90 liters model is too small for you, here is the largest Kelty model from the series:
Kelty Red Cloud 110
This is a larger model from the same series with all essential features the same.
Below are some technical specifications, you will notice this is again a reasonably light model for its size:
- Weight: 5 lbs 12 oz (2.6 kg).
- Torso Size: 15.5 – 21 in (39 – 53 cm).
- Volume: 6590 cubic inches (108 L).
- Dimensions (L x W x D): 35 x 19 x 15 inches (89 x 48 x 38 cm).
Note that there exists also a new version from 2016 for this 110 liters pack.
Here is a YouTube video of the Kelty Red Cloud 110 pack:
PerfectFIT adjustable suspension explained
In this short video, you will see how the PerfectFIT adjustable suspension system of Kelty Red Cloud 90 and 110 series works. See these 3 essential steps:
Thank you for reading, I hope this Kelty Red Cloud 90 review and the additional information about Red Cloud 110 have been useful. If so, please share it with others on your favorite social media.
For the price update please follow the links given above. Please leave some comment in the box below, I shall be happy to read it. Thank you and have a nice day!