This Kelty Mirada Tent review is about a new tent by Kelty, which is a part of a multipurpose and very functional set that also includes Mirada Tarp and Mirada Floor.
- This is a combination tarp-plus-tent, the floor is optional.
- It provides great space and a variety of combinations.
- You can use the tarp on its own.
- You can easily add the tent underneath the tarp.
- Great price for the value.
The Mirada Tent – description
This is a camping tool suitable for places with a car or motorbike access, and this includes a variety of possibilities, like ordinary vacationing, open-air festivals, fishing, etc. I stress this because the set is quite heavy, 11 lb 9 oz (5.25 kg), and it can be used in combination with the mentioned Mirada Floor described in my separate text where you will see that the Tarp can also be ordered separately.
On the other hand, the Tent itself provides space for 4 people, and the Tarp is big enough to provide a shelter for 8 people, so the weight should not be an issue when the equipment is shared between the participants.
The tent fabric is 68D Polyester with 1200 mm fly and 1800 floor, and with taped seams. The poles are steel and this is why the complete set is a bit heavy, but see what you have here, this is a tent with the tarp that makes a pleasant and large awning in front of it.
What is in the package
The package includes the following:
- Backpack-type carry bag.
- Mirada tarp.
- Mirada inner tent.
- Two steel poles.
- Guyline cords.
- Tent stakes.
The setup procedure
You will see the setup procedure in the video below. Here just to outline the steps:
- Set up the Mirada Tarp first. This implies laying it out in the desired location and stake back corners and then the front corners, with the green webbing strap attached to each front corner.
- Insert front pole pin into the grommet at the top center of the front and stand it up. Repeat the procedure with the shorter back pole and stake out the rear pole guy line. Then stake out the side stake loops to prepare the system for the inner tent.
- Now lay out the inner tent behind the front pole. Hang center point of inner tent back wall on tarp center point O-ring.
- Hook the bottom tent corners to bottom loops on the tarp.
- Attach tent front center hook to O-ring on the tarp near the pole grommet.
- Attach bottom front corners to loops on the tarp.
- Do adjustment of stakes if necessary in order to tighten the inner tent.
So as you see, it is setting the tarp first, and adding the tent underneath the tarp can be done at any moment later, from the step 3 and on. You attach the tent by starting from the back first. See all this in the video:
The Mirada Floor
The Floor is optional, it adds a lot of comforts, but it is not compulsory. It is particularly useful if you use only the tarp without the tent. It is described in detail in my Mirada Tarp review. Of course, the Mirada Floor can be ordered separately. At the moment of writing this text, its price is $46, but this changes by day so please follow the link.
Pros & cons
My short summary is as follows:
The weight is 5.25 kg but the tarp and poles are 3.6 kg, so the tent itself is only 1.65 kg, not bad for a 4-person tool.
The price at the moment of writing the text is $200 for the complete set (without the Floor). Note that the tarp with poles and stakes as a separate unit is $104, see more here.
Specifications & summary of features
- Seasons: 3.
- Doors: 1.
- Capacity: 4 people.
- Minimum weight: 9 lb 7 oz (4.3 kg).
- Packaged weight: 11 lb 9 oz (5.25 kg).
- Floor area: 58 ft² (5.4 m²).
- Length: 78 in (198 cm).
- Width (front): 123 in (312 cm).
- Width (rear): 91 in (231 cm).
- Height: 72 in (183 cm).
- Packed size (L x D): 24 x 10 in (61 x 25 cm).
- Number of poles: 2.
– Poles: Steel.
– Wall material: 68D Polyester; No-See-Um Mesh.
– Floor material: 68D Polyester, 1800 mm.
– Fly material: 68D Polyester, 1200 mm.
- Tarp and tent all in one.
- Easy add in/take out inner tent.
- No-see-um mesh door.
- Taped floor seams.
Comparison with other brands
This is a very unique design and it is hard to compare it with any other 4-person tent. But if you need something more standard for four people, please visit my another page, there are many great tents described there.
To conclude this Kelty Mirada Tent review, it is important to stress that the tent is a part of a set which includes 3 pieces in total. So its full value and versatility can fully be realized only in such a context.
The basic set includes the Tent and the Tarp, and the indicated price is for these two elements. The Floor is optional, it adds a lot to the versatility and value to this great set. All in all, this is a versatile and multipurpose set suitable for various outdoor activities.