In this Gregory Z30 backpack review, I present a nicely designed day pack, suitable also for fitness hikes and casual outings, and it can be used as a summit pack as well.
It is lightweight and with a great ventilation CrossFlo suspension system which will allow you to carry up to 15 kilograms of load without difficulties.
Where to buy
- The best place regarding the price and shipping conditions is usually Amazon.com.
This is a backpack with a lightweight wire x-frame. Its harness is nicely anatomically shaped and well padded, with a die-cut foam used for it. Load lifters are available and there is a height-adjustable sternum strap.
The back is one of the best features of Z30 series, Gregory’s CrossFlo suspension system. It has a tensioned mesh, a trampoline style structure, which reacts on the load and performs accordingly.
A huge air circulation takes place here, and the pack does not touch your back at any point except at the hip belt lumbar area, and at the harness attachment zone. In my view, this is one of the best designs with respect to ventilation.
The hip belt is generously padded, the same die-cut foam is used as in the harness, and it has pockets on each side, but the belt straps are surprisingly narrow.
Z30 pack comes in medium (M) and large (L) size. The pack has a large (wet) pocket on the front, secured by a buckle on the top, and it has 2 upper cinch straps that go to the sides and 2 cinch straps on the bottom of it, all secured by buckles. This is a great storage area where you can put anything, including your wet clothes; there is a hole on the bottom of it to let the water go.
Beneath the front pocket is a pocket with the integrated rain cover with a matching color. This is a great feature, I would not consider having a backpack without a rain cover.
2 stretch sizable pockets are on the two sides of the pack. One truly large zippered pocket is on the top.
There are attachment loops on the bottom paired with attachment points in the upper part of the front, for trekking poles or ice-axe.
Gregory Z30 backpack is top-loading. The entrance to the main compartment is through a large zippered opening. Beneath the top cover, there is another zippered pocket.
This pack is hydration compatible, the water sleeve is inside the main compartment. The water bladder can be attached to a hook on the top of the sleeve. There are corresponding water tube openings on the pack body and attachment sections on the shoulder straps.
Here is a YouTube video by Gregory, about Z&J backpack series:
Technical specifications & summary of features
- Medium size: 30 l (1831 cu in).
Weight: 1.08 kg (2 lbs 6 oz).
Torso length: 46 – 51 cm (18 – 20 in).
Large size: 32 l (1953 cu in).
Weight: 1.16 kg (2 lbs 9 oz).
Torso length: 51 – 56 cm (20 – 22 in).
- Comfort zone: 33 lbs (15 kg).
- Material: 210D robic dynagin, 100D robic GR shadowbox, 200D polyester oxford, 265g polyester stretch woven and 190T nylon taffeta.
- Updated CrossFlo suspension.
- Ventilated EVA foam on hip belt and shoulder harnesses.
- Integrated color-matched rain cover.
- Interior hydration sleeve with a hose port.
- Interior security pocket with key clip.
- Hybrid top loading.
- Zippered pockets on exterior and interior of hybrid panel access.
- 2 waist belt pockets.
- 2 external stretch water bottle pockets.
- Front bucket pocket for quick gear storage.
- Ice axe/trekking pole loops.
- Side and bottom compression straps.
- Colors: spark red, solar yellow, marine blue, and storm black, see them here on the right.
- The front pocket is not of stretch material. This makes it less functional although it is large.
- What would make it perfect? Well, having the stow-on-the-go attachment system from Osprey Kestrel 28 would definitely bring it close to perfection.
I hope that my views expressed in this Gregory Z30 backpack review are useful to you. This is a great pack in every aspect. I give it a bit higher rate than to other models only because of suspension. But there are some nice features in other models that are absent in Z30 pack.
So the final decision for you may not be easy, but I hope this text will help. These are all great models and my rates are really high for each of them separately. I am sure you will be happy with any of them.
I shall appreciate your comments in the box below. Please feel free to share this text with others. Thank you.