This Gregory Savant 38 review presents the smallest pack from the series which includes 38, 48, and 58 liters backpacks. This is a perfect pack for overnight and weekend trips or for general traveling.
Where to buy
- The best place regarding the price and shipping conditions is usually Amazon.com.
Savant 38 pack comes in three sizes S, M, and L, see below some details about it.
It has a really big pocket on the front, with a compression strap on the top of it. Beneath this big pocket, there is a separate pocket for an integrated rain cover.
The entrance to the main compartment is from the top, and from the front through a zippered opening.
On the lid of the pack you have an internal zippered pocket, and a roll top setting from outside. This means that the zippered entrance to the external pocket on the lid can be rolled up preventing water from entering.
The hydration pocket is external, located on the back of the pack, and water tube can be set along the shoulder harness in the usual way.
Gregory Savant 38 pack has so-called Intuition 3D suspension. It is lightweight, with a contoured back panel and a wishbone shaped internal wire frame which provides stability and connection with the hip belt.
The shoulder straps are anatomical, and with the chest strap which can be moved up and down. The belt is of the same material and it comes with 2 mesh pockets.
There are side mesh pockets, and a new feature of this series is a zippered side pocket beneath the mesh pocket.
On the bottom, you have 2 compression straps where a sleeping pad can be attached, and you also have daisy chain loops in the lower part of the front.
Side compression straps are on the upper part of the pack. Loops on the bottom, accompanied with loops on the upper part, are for the attachment of trekking poles or an ice axe.
Technical specification & summary of features
- Small size: 34 l (2075 cu in).
Weight: 1.30 kg (2 lbs 14 oz).
Torso length: 41 – 46 cm (16 – 18 in).
Medium size: 38 l (2319 cu in).
Weight: 1.42 kg (3 lbs 2 oz).
Torso length: 46 – 51 cm (18 – 20 in).
Large size: 42 l (2563).
Weight: 1.52 kg (3 lbs 9 oz).
Torso length: 51 – 56 cm (20 – 22 in).
- Intuition 3D suspension.
- 3 mm gauge wire wishbone internal frame suspension.
- Breathable, molded foam back panel, harnesses, and waist belt with 7 mm EVA foam.
- Water-resistant roll top style top pocket.
- Top lid security pocket.
- Side stash zippered quick access pocket.
- External hydration pocket.
- Large panel zipper access to main pack body.
- Side and bottom compression straps.
- Dual axe/tool attachment points.
- Integrated, color-matched rain cover.
- No bottom compartment. For the pack of this size, this is unusual. I have a Deuter 38 liters model and it has a quite large bottom compartment.
- Limited harness adjustment.
Below is a table with several features, for the comparison of Gregory Savant 38 pack with a few Deuter models.
Savant 38 M
Futura Pro 42
PRO 40 SL
Only a few basic features are given in the table. To fully realize the essential differences between this pack and the others, I would warmly recommend you to follow the given links.
Here is a video about Savant & Sage series, by Gregory:
So this was my Gregory Savant 38 review. My general feeling about this pack I express through this:
I hope this was useful to you. I shall be happy to have some comment in the box below. Thank you for reading.