The Deuter Futura PRO 42 Backpack is one from the Futura PRO series, which is made in sizes of 36 and 42 liters, so with a slightly larger volume as compared to normal Deuter Futura. There is also 44 liters EL version for more tall people.
The series also includes SL (slim line) models for women with 34 and 40 liters volume.
The 42 liters model is a perfect size for weekend tours. It may be a good choice also for day-tours, though in my opinion it is a bit too big for that purpose.
- My rate: 9.0/10
- The place to buy: Amazon.
Technical specifications & features
- Weight: 3 lbs 13 oz; 1740 g.
- Volume: 2560 (+310 sp) cubic inches; 42 (+5 sp) liters.
- Size: 28 / 13 / 11 (H x W x D) Inch; 70 / 34 / 27 (H x W x D) cm.
- Material: Deuter-Super-Polytex, Macro Lite 210.
I give the same rate to this series as to Deuter backpacks from ACT Lite series. There are differences and advantages on both sides. For example, ACT series has Vari Quick back length adjustment, height adjustable lid, extra 10 L volume. On the other hand, Futura PRO series has two pockets on hip belts, height adjustment of chest strap, a great mesh feature on the back which is something I like a lot, it has bigger side pockets.
The suspension system has been modified as compared to the normal Futura models. According to Deuter, the system is designed in such a way as to allow you carrying 12 kilograms quite easily.
The usual mesh on the back, typical for Futura models reduces perspiration for 25%. I have been using Futura for 12 years (the same backpack all the time) and I know well how nicely it works.
Shoulder straps are covered by a 3D mesh. Chest straps are height-adjustable. It features Vary Flex hip system, fins are made in such a way as to move up and down and follow the movement of the body.
Similar to many other Deuter backpacks models, it has pull-forward straps that allow for an easy adjustment of hip fins. The hip fins can be stabilized by side compression straps.
The Futura models have two pockets on the top lid, two very big side pockets for 1L water bottles, and additional two zippered side-pockets. As I said earlier, the model has 2 pockets on the hip belt. There are gear loops on the top lid, just like in many other models of Deuter backpacks.
On the front side, you will see attachment points for ice axe and for walking poles. It has a detachable rain cover, there is a lower compartment with a divider which can be open making all the inside a single big compartment.
Summary of features:
- Anatomical softly padded shoulder straps, breathable Wide Air-Mesh cover.
- Durable spring steel frame; flexible and lightweight. In fact, this element provided mesh tension.
- Anatomically shaped 3D AirMesh shoulder straps.
- Side compression straps on hip belt for stabilization of the backpack.
- Excellent ventilation due to mesh, there is a big space between the body and the pack, all the way from the hip belt to the shoulders.
- Ergonomic Vari Flex hip belt.
- Separate bottom compartment.
- Two zipped pockets on the hip belt.
- Hydration system compatible.
- Wet laundry compartment.
- Gear loops on the lid.
- Pull-forward closure.
- 2 lid pockets.
- Stretch outer pockets.
- Ice axe and walking poles attachments.
- Rain cover.
Pros & cons
Comparison of Deuter Futura PRO 42 backpack with some other brands
|Zippered side pockets||yes, 2||no||yes, 2|
Here is a great promotional video of Deuter Futura PRO series, by Deuter:
To conclude, Deuter Futura PRO 42 Backpack is a great product and a wonderful part of equipment for any outdoor activity and for traveling. I warmly recommend this backpack. It may look expensive but it will last forever. I have my own pack from the same series and I will not need another one in my lifetime. If you need something smaller from the same series, please check this Futura Pro 36.
If you need a bigger pack please have a look here:
- Deuter Aircontact PRO 65 15 SL pack.
- Deuter Aircontact PRO 70 15 pack.
- Deuter ACT Lite 65 10 backpack.
Thank you for reading. Please leave some comment in the box below, I shall be happy to read it. I wish you a pleasant day.